Instant Pot Slow Cooker Thai Green Curry is a perfect, authentic Thai curry with chicken and vegetables. Makes a fragrant, aromatic dish that hits the spot.
I know, I know, you got your Instant Pot because you didn’t want to wait around for hours for food to cook. Listen to me. Make this one and anything else that has coconut milk in a slow cooker.
Coconut milk is horrible under pressure. I’ve tried at least four times with all kinds of variations. It’s just not as good under pressure no matter what I tried. Added an emulsifier–didn’t work. Tried on soup button–didn’t work. Followed recipes from blogger’s and food sites I trust–didn’t work.
I took a picture of what it looked like after it was pressure cooked, and although it comes together a bit better the next day, the taste is just…off. It’s really not as good. I mean, look at it. It’s thin, it’s watery, and it just not good.
Contrast that with the thickness and the richness of the slow-cooked Thai Green curry below, and there’s no comparison, and it shows in the taste as well.
So take my advice, set this up for a day’s cooking and enjoy the best curry you’ve had outside of takeout Thai curry. Besides, your Instant Pot and most other electric pressure cookers have a slow cook function anyway.
HOW TO USE THE SLOW COOK FUNCTION IN YOUR INSTANT POT
I’d heard so much about how people couldn’t get it to work for them, that I was determined to try. Here’s the secret.
Low = warm, Medium = low on a traditional slow cooker, and high = high on a traditional slow cooker.
Now that you know this, your recipes should work out just fine. I did this one on medium because I didn’t want the coconut milk to boil. Also chicken cooks in 3-4 hours on high, and most people aren’t home to turn it off and I wanted to give it the full eight hours to see how it would turn out.
THE RECIPE STEPS FOR THIS SLOW COOKER THAI GREEN CURRY ARE:
- Fry the curry paste and aromatics in coconut oil for a little bit
- Put everything else in your Instant Pot or slow cooker
- Set it to Slow Cook, 8 hours, keep warm
EQUIPMENT & INGREDIENTS YOU MAY NEED TO MAKE SLOW COOKER THAI GREEN CURRY ARE:
- Instant Pot Mini Duo or Instant Pot 6 quart or Instant Pot 8 Quart
- Measuring cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Cutting Board (my fav one)
- Good set of Kitchen knives
- Garlic Mincer
- Microplane Ginger Grater
- Green curry paste
- Canned Coconut milk
- Minced Ginger
- Minced Garlic
- Fish Sauce
- Soy Sauce
★ Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below! Just click on the stars in the recipe card to rate.
Slow Cooker keto Thai Green Curry is a perfect, authentic Thai curry with chicken and vegetables. Makes a fragrant, aromatic dish that hits the spot.
- 1 tablespoon Coconut Oil
- 2 tablespoons curry paste (adjust to preferred spice level)
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon Garlic
- 1/2 cup Sliced Onions
- 1 lb Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 2 cups chopped, peeled eggplant
- 1 chopped green yellow, or orange pepper
- 1/2 cup Basil leaves (use Thai basil if you can find it)
- 1 cup Full-Fat Coconut Milk
- 1 tablespoon Fish Sauce
- 2 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 2 teaspoons splenda
- 1 teaspoon Salt (if needed)
- Turn your Instant Pot on Sauté, high, and when it's hot, add coconut oil. When the oil is hot, add the curry paste and cook this curry paste for 1-2 minutes.
Add in minced ginger and garlic and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add the onions and stir it all together.
- Add all remaining ingredients and deglaze the bottom of the pan.
- Press cancel to turn off the Sauté mode and switch to Slow Cook mode.
- Set your Slow cook for 8 hours on MEDIUM.
I am not a registered dietician or nutritionist. Nutritional information is provided a courtesy, and can vary depending on the exact ingredients you use.