Need a Keto Diet Plan you can stick with? If you're just starting, check out this Keto Diet Plan for week 1 so you can get started on the right foot!
How To Start A Keto Diet
For those of you who would like to give Keto a try and don't know where to start, I've put together a simple plan of keto meals to help you kick off the first week. This covers everything from keto dinner ideas to keto snacks.
My goal here is to boil it down and make the ketogenic diet easy and less intimidating in order to get you started.
Keys To 4 Weeks Of Success
First, a disclaimer. I am not a medical, or health care professional so you definitely want to consult what my sons call "a real doctor, not a Ph.D. like my Mom".
Keto Meal Plan Frequently Asked Questions
The ketogenic (keto) diet is based on a metabolic process called “ketosis,” which happens when your body does not have enough glucose for energy, so it burns fat instead.
During ketosis, chemical molecules called “ketones” are produced in the liver when fat is burned, and they are sent into your bloodstream to be used as fuel for the brain, muscles, and tissues. The keto diet deliberately reduces carbohydrate intake to encourage the body to burn fat instead.
The keto diet is a low-carb, moderate-protein, and high-fat plan, which usually breaks down into the following daily percentages:
• 60 to 75% of calories from fat
• 15 to 30% of calories from protein
• 5 to 10% of calories from carbs
Meat, vegetables, cheese, nuts, and other dairy products are a great way to get started. Limit fruits to 2x day.
Fruits are naturally high in sugars, so they should be eaten sparingly. Some fruits are lower in natural sugars and are easier to fit into your macros. Generally, berries such as strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries are a good option when you're living a low carb lifestyle.
The first week is mainly water loss. But the more you have to lose, the faster you will lose. If you only have a little to lose, it may take a few weeks to start seeing real weight loss.
Keto weight loss will fluctuate from week to week and depending on how much they have to lose. Try not to compare your weight loss success to someone else's.
It depends on how strict you are. If you restrict carbs to below 20 grams, it typically takes 2-3 days to go into ketosis. It may however, take a week or two to get fat-adapted
The most popular choice for a keto breakfast is bacon and eggs. But a lot of people can get tired of not having variety quickly. Try my keto pancakes or low carb yogurt to mix things up and stay within your macros.
Week 1 Ketogenic Diet Macros
For week 1 of keto, I recommend keeping it very simple in order to get your body used to running without an influx of carbs. So for this week don't worry about calories, portion sizes or whether you're in ketosis. This week is just about training you to avoid starches and sugars and training your body to run off fat rather than sugar.
Every meal does not have to be in balance, but the proportions should be close to these at the end of the day.
These macros will become important later in the diet, but don't worry about them for week 1.
Let me repeat this. Do NOT WORRY about macros during your first week. It can become overwhelming really quickly.
If you must calculate macros, here is my free keto macro calculator for you to use
How to Start Keto: Diet Plan Week 1
- Cut out high glycemic foods like bread, pasta, and rice, but believe it or not, because there are so many great substitutions you won't miss these starchy foods. And by substituting these foods with high fat low carb foods, you won't get hungry.
- Eat lots of non-starchy veggies like cauliflower, broccoli, and green leafy vegetables.
- Your proteins will be moderate, with only 15 to 30% of your total intake coming from healthy proteins like chicken, beef, fish or tofu.
- Fats will make up the rest of your daily intake. These should come good fats like nuts or nut butters, olive oil, avocados, and cheese. Here are some of the low carb fruits, vegetables, and nuts you can eat on keto.
Three rules for a Ketogenic Meal Plan | Week 1
Here are 3 simple examples of keto meals you should plan to eat to kickstart your Keto journey in week 1:
- Cut out potatoes, pasta, bread, rice, grains, beans, and sugar and don't eat too many fruits.
- Start looking for hidden sugars in many of the things we eat like jellies, pasta sauce, salad dressing, peanut butter, etc.
- If you would like to eat fruit, try to stick to low glycemic varieties like berries.
- Eat whatever you want for meats, eggs, vegetables, cheese, nuts, avocados, and fats.
- Eat meat, nuts, and cheese for snacks. Cheese sticks wrapped in turkey or ham, salami or pepperoni, nuts, and avocados make the best keto snacks to keep on hand as keto diet snacks. Have as much as you need of these to stave off hunger.
The Best Keto Meal Plan For Week 1 | What Do You Eat The First Week Of Keto?
So many of you asked for a starting keto meal plan, that I just created one packed with keto diet recipes and easy keto meals for you to start off with.
I've put together a very affordable keto meal plan to help you keep on your way to ketosis. You'll find keto dinner ideas Instantly Download and print this 1-week Meal plan to make cooking fast, easy, flexible, and delicious!
Save Time With Keto
This easy keto meal plan for beginners is very simple. Here are some rules for you to create fabulous low carb menus, without cooking all the time.
- Cook on weekends.
- Cook dinner each night.
- Eat leftovers for lunch.
- Eat Keto friendly snacks.
- Don't be afraid to eat keto desserts for breakfast! Of course, you can always do eggs and bacon, nuts, yogurt etc. for breakfast. But there's nothing wrong with eating an almond scone for dessert as well as breakfast.
Tips & Tricks for Staying on A Ketogenic Diet
- Do not get discouraged. Remember you are breaking a life-long habit of carbohydrate addiction, and it could get uncomfortable as your body reacts both physically and mentally.
- You might feel sluggish. Keep in mind that means it's working — your body is transferring from using one form of fuel to another, and you will begin to see results soon.
- Moral support. we have a great FB family support page.
- You'll soon feel energetic. Many people report ending this week feeling energetic and even starting to see some keto weight loss. If you're not one of them, hang in there, it will come soon.
Free Resources for How to Follow A Ketogenic Diet
- Here is my list of some of my best Keto recipes for you to take a look at as you decide what to eat on keto diets. Make these recipes and eat as much as you want. Try as many of my best keto recipes as is comfortable for you so you can start to see which keto substitutions work best for your lifestyle.
- Some people on keto really miss the texture of bread, so if this is you, try my chaffle recipes as well as my famous keto bread recipe.
- If you're following a vegetarian diet start here.
THAT IS IT for week one! Keto can be very simple. People complicate it for some reason but as you know I'm a fan of stupid simple.
Check out tips and tricks for staying on track for the next 3 weeks
Don't forget to check out my other Keto cookbooks.
Originally Published February 17, 2018