Keto Diet Plan Week 3! Wondering how to start Keto? Totally confused by where to start? It's easy to get overwhelmed. These posts break down how to start on Keto in an easy way. This is week 3 of keto tips!
First, a disclaimer. I am not a medical, or health care professional so you definitely want to consult what my sons call “a real doctor, not a Ph.D. like my Mom”.
Keto Diet Plan Week 3
This is a short series on how to start Keto. Some of us want to jump into Keto cold turkey. Others might want to ease in. For those of you who are wondering how to start Keto:
Congratulations! You made it through 2 weeks of the keto diet! Depending on how aggressive you’ve been, your body should have switched over, or be switching over, to burning fat rather than carbs. At this point, you might even consider testing your ketones with ketone strips to see if you’re in ketosis yet. If you’re not, continue to decrease your carbs this week and you should get into ketosis soon.
If by chance you haven’t started a keto diet or have just started thinking about keto Click here for the Keto Diet Week 1 plan first. When you're done with week 1, you can move on to the Week 2 plan HERE to see just how easy it is to get started.
There are only four basic rules for week 3 of keto and most of them build on what you’ve already been doing. By now you should already have completely given up all grains, legumes/beans, and pasta/rice/potatoes. Additionally:
- Fruit. You should have already cut down to no more than 1 piece of fruit a day. Cut out all fruit this week. You will eventually be able to have berries in small portions, but for now cut out all fruit until your body is comfortably burning fat instead of carbs and sugar.
- Increase fasting. You should already be fasting 4 hours between meals. Now, go at least 12 hours between dinner and breakfast, or breakfast and lunch.
Do not eat snacks in between because eating causes insulin release. Insulin release = no fat burning. If you get super hungry, first drink water or your sugar-free beverage of choice. If that doesn’t work, eat a fat bomb. My book is a great resource for fat bombs: Keto Fat Bombs Sweets & Treats
Going longer between meals will control your insulin and begin to prepare you for intermittent fasting if you choose to incorporate that into your keto diet in the future.
- Drink more. You should already be drinking 64 oz of liquids a day. Keep it up! If you get sick of water you can incorporate other options such as sparkling water or club soda, green or black tea, coffee, or bone broth. While beverages such as Diet Coke (or diet soda in general) are technically keto-compliant, several recent studies have suggested these artificially sweetened drinks may trick the body into craving the calories and carbs it believes it's getting from the diet soda. When your body realizes it isn't, you may make up for it by overeating. If you need to drink diet soda just do so in moderation and monitor if it seems to make you crave sweets.
- Start writing down your food intake. Find a food tracker you like and start keeping track of your carbs. Some options are MyFitnessPal, Cronometer, and Lose It. At this point you will only track your carbs but eventually you will track all of your macros, so you might try a few different food trackers until you find one you really like and is easy to use
How you might be feeling this week:
By week 3 the keto flu symptoms should have abated. Hopefully the gradual deletion of carbs and sugar have minimized these. You’re probably starting to feel like you can handle this.
You’re not having to track your food like mad because you are becoming more comfortable with what you can and can’t have and you might start looking for substitutions for your favorite foods.
Many people report that they have begun losing weight by week 3, but if you haven’t don’t get discouraged; it will come soon. By week 3 many people are able to think more clearly, sleep more deeply and report having more energy.
Again, if you’re not there yet, don’t despair, just know that’s coming soon.
Keto Resources you need:
- The BEST Keto snacks you can get on Amazon are here on this list I tried personally and made for you.
- I've written two Keto cookbooks now that will take the guessing out of cooking while on Keto. Even non-Keto people love these recipes! Get Easy Keto in 30 Minutes HERE, and get my Keto Fat Bombs Sweets & Treats HERE.
- I've put together a TON of my favorite Keto recipes into lists like Vegetarian, Soups, Holidays, Instant Pot and more to make finding GOOD recipes easy for you. CLICK HERE to see all of those and to pin your favorites on Pinterest later!
That’s it for the Keto Diet Plan Week 3! Enjoy your meat, veggies, nuts, cheese, cream, bacon, avocados, and other yummies as before.
Recipes you will enjoy on Week 3:
- Keto Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars - these are AMAZING and will make you forget Reese's exist.
- Keto Butter Chicken - you can make this in your Instant Pot or Slow Cooker and it's an incredible meal no one will guess is Keto.
- Keto Meatloaf - the ultimate American comfort food made low carb and still just as delicious!
Other good keto resources
- How to start keto
- Keto week 1
- Keto week 2
- Keto week 3
- Keto week 4
- How to calculate keto macros
- What can you eat on keto?
- Low carb Starbucks drinks
- Low carb fruits, vegetables, and nuts for keto
- Easy low carb protein shakes for keto
- Best and Worst Keto Sweeteners for keto
- The best Keto Fast food options
- My favorite keto snacks on Amazon
- Best no-cook keto snacks for busy people
- Simple Intermittent fasting guide
- Popular Keto Myths Busted
- How to break a weight loss plateau
- 10 things to get back to Keto Basics
- The BEST Instant Pot Keto Recipes
- Easy Keto Air Fryer Recipes
- Keto and dairy-free recipes