Cook a Spicy Basil Beef along with a pot of rice at the same time in your pressure cooker. Make a quick-pickled salad while they cook, to serve a healthy, fast dinner.
Although I made these Spicy Basil Beef Bowls in the Instant Pot, there's no reason why you couldn't do them in on the stove top. It's basically a combination of ground beef, basil leaves that are used both cooked as well as fresh, and a handful of sauce ingredients.
I've always wanted to learn how to make a flavorful basil beef recipe as a different way to eat ground beef, so I figured I'd try this way and see how it works.
The advantage of making these in a pressure cooker was that I cooked the rice and the beef at the same time, and while it was cooking, I put together the quick-pickled vegetables so that they'd be ready when the meat and rice were ready.
Of course if you're trying to low carb, then don't make the rice, and eat just the meat and vegetables. In this case, double up on the cucumber and omit the carrots.
Okay I know this looks like a long list of ingredients, but there are very few steps, and it makes meat, rice, and vegetables for dinner. Just get everything together beforehand and it will move fast.
The Steps for this Spicy Basil Beef Bowl Recipe are:
- Rinse rice
- Sauté veggies and beef.
- Place rice on top of beef and cook at high pressure 4 mins, 5 mins NPR
- Make quick pickled veggies while meat and rice cooks
- Serve each bowl with rice, meat and veggies
And if you're looking for more great Thai recipes, check out my Air Fryer Thai Peanut Chicken!
? Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below! Just click on the stars in the recipe card to rate.
For the Beef
- 1 tablespoons (1 tablespoons) Vegetable Oil
- 5 (5 ) Garlic Cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablepoon (1 tablepoon) julienned ginger
- 2 (2 ) Dried Red Chilis
- 1 cup (160 g) Sliced Onions
- 1 pound (453.59 g) Lean Ground Beef
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) Kosher Salt
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tablespoon (1 tablespoon) Gochujang , or Sriracha sauce, adjust to taste
- 1 cup (24 g) Basil leaves, divided
- 1/4 cup (62.5 ml) Water, or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoons (1 tablespoons) Soy Sauce
- 1 teaspoon (1 teaspoon) Splenda, or sugar
- 2 tablespoons (4 tablespoons) fresh lime juice, divided
- 1 teaspoon (1 teaspoon) Sesame Oil
For the Rice
For the Rice
- Rinse rice and place rice, water and salt into a heat safe pot that will fit inside your pressure cooker.
- Cover this pot with foil or a silicone lid
For the Beef
- Turn your Instant Pot to Sauté high, and when it is hot, add oil. When the oil is shimmering hot, add ginger, garlic and chilis and sauté 30 seconds.
- Add sliced onions and sauté 1 minute
- Add in ground beef and break up lumps. Don't worry about cooking it at this point. Just make sure it's not going to cook as one big lump of meat.
- Add 1/2 cup of chopped basil leaves (add more if you like basil, just leave enough to add some fresh leaves at the end).
- Add all the other beef ingredients and mix well.
- Place a steamer rack on top of the beef.
- On the rack, place the covered rice pot. (Sorry mine shows cooked rice, because I forgot to take a picture before hand).
- Cook on high pressure for 4 minutes and allow it to release pressure for 5 minutes. Release all remaining pressure.
For the Salad
- While the rice and beef are cooking, julienne the carrots and cucumbers, and mix with vinegar, sugar and salt. I added red pepper flakes to mine.