Brazilian Moqueca is a healthy, flavorful Instant Pot fish stew that is done in under 30 minutes. It's fast, easy, low carb, and incredibly delicious.
What Makes This Fish Stew So Great?
- Low Carb. While it isn't one of my lowest-carb recipes, it still has only 13 net carbs per serving.
- Fast. You'll be eating moqueca in less than 30 minutes.
- Easy. This is a simple one pot Instant Pot recipe.
- Delicious. Cooking under pressure helps infuse all of the flavors of the fish, vegetables, and spices into the stew.
What is Moqueca?
Moqueca is a seafood soup, or a fish stew and is classically Brazilian. It has a flavorful tomato and coconut milk base and is full of healthy veggies.
How Do You Pronounce Moqueca?
You're going to love this recipe so much, you'll want to tell your friends about it. I promise. Instead of calling it something boring like "fish stew", add a little flair by calling it Brazilian Moqueca.
But you're going to want to know how to pronounce it before you run out and make yourself sound silly. Don't worry, I have your back.
It's pronounced mo-KEH-kah. Super easy. Just like this recipe.
What Does Moqueca Taste Like?
In short, it tastes amazing. This Brazilian Moqueca recipe is bursting with an array of flavors from the great healthy ingredients. You'll love the rich flavors of tomato sauce, paprika, and coconut milk. Moqueca has the perfect amount of seafood flavor and still has a brightness from the lemon juice you use to finish the dish.
How To Make This Brazilian Moqueca Recipe
- Heat. Turn the Instant Pot on Saute. When the pot shows HOT, add coconut oil. Add garlic and paprika and briefly saute.
- Stir. Mix in onions, bell pepper, green onions, tomato, cilantro, and salt.
- Pour. Add in water and frozen fish.
- Shut it. Close the lid.
- Cook. Select PRESSURE COOK. At the end of the cooking time, allow the pot to rest undisturbed for 5 minutes and then release all remaining pressure.
- Add. Stir in coconut milk and lemon juice.
- Serve. Enjoy your fish stew.
Tips and Tricks for Making Fish Stew
- Coconut Milk. Do not cook the coconut milk under pressure. Add after cooking the other ingredients in your Instant Pot so that it doesn't curdle.
- Vegetables. You can add any quick-cooking vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, or mushrooms to bulk up this fish stew.
- Seafood. Use any combination of shrimp or firm white fish in this moqueca recipe. If you need another idea to use up the rest of your bag of frozen mixed seafood, try my Cioppino recipe.
- Paprika. Use sweet smoked paprika (the same one I use in my Hungarian Porkolt recipe) unless you want a little bit of spice. If you have extra paprika you can always use it in Butter Chicken or Chicken Tikka Masala.
What Do You Serve With Brazilian Fish Stew?
This fish stew recipe is in my Instant Pot Healthy cookbook. So if you're looking for some more healthy recipes to serve alongside this Brazilian Moqueca, it has over 100 to choose from.
If you're looking for some simple "non-recipe" ideas to supplement this soup, you might try:
- A side salad
- Crusty bread
- Rice on the side or mixed into the fish stew.
- Cauliflower rice if you're eating low carb.
Other Great Instant Pot Seafood Recipes
- Patra Ni Machhi
- Low Country Boil
- Instant Pot Salmon with Orange Ginger Glaze
- Instant Pot Quinoa Salad
- Nigerian Fried Rice
- Fish Saag
- Haddock with Spinach
- Cioppino Seafood Stew
- Ginger Scallion Fish
Eating healthy doesn't mean you have to sacrifice flavor. This Fish Stew is absolutely packed with it. If you love Brazilian Moqueca as much as I do, make sure you share the recipe with your friends on Facebook and Pinterest so they can try it too.
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below! Just click on the stars in the recipe card to rate. Don't forget to pin this recipe for later!
- Heat the Instant Pot on Saute. When the pot shows HOT, add coconut oil. Add garlic and paprika and sizzle for about 5 seconds. Stir in onions, bell pepper, green onions, tomato, cilantro, and salt.
- Add in water and frozen fish.
- Close the lid. Select PRESSURE COOK and set the pot at high pressure for 1 minute. At the end of the cooking time, allow the pot to rest undisturbed for 5 minutes and then release all remaining pressure.
- Stir in coconut milk and lemon juice. Serve.