This very simple recipe for perfect brown rice in your pressure cooker may well make you finally put away your rice cooker, and start using your Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker to make perfect rice each time.
This recipe for Perfect Pressure Cooker Brown Rice will surprise you with the proportions of rice and water that I’m recommending.
Rest assured, I’ve tested this several times, and it quite reliably works.
If you’d like to better understand how this all works, check out the video below, that walks you through different types of rice, what makes them different, and how best to cook each one in the pressure cooker.
Brown rice is whole grain rice, with the inedible outer hull removed; white rice has the hull, bran layer and cereal germ removed. One thing to be aware of is that rice plants accumulate arsenic, and there have been concerns over arsenic levels in rice. There is more arsenic in the bran, so brown rice could contain more arsenic.
Choosing a good quality brown rice is critical. For these experiments, I used a long-grain brown basmati and I found it to work really well.
HOW TO GET PERFECT PRESSURE COOKER BROWN RICE:
- Use a good quality, long-grain basmati or other rice
- Rinse and drain as well as you can
- Measure water and rice carefully
- Allow the rice to NPR for 10 minutes. This is important to allow it to cook
- Feel free to add 1 tablespoon ghee or coconut oil to ensure each grain is separate.
WHY PRESSURE COOK BROWN RICE?
- Gelatinizes Starch for softer mouth feel
- May make nutrients more bioavailable
- Less water loss due to evaporation
- Reduced cooking time preserves aroma
- No need to pre-soak
- No babysitting
- Can put away rice cooker for daily use
OTHER PRESSURE COOKER RICE RECIPES
I have way too many rice recipes for someone trying to eat low carb. I typically do eat 1/4 cup of rice at some meals, as I’m now in maintenance mode. As this list will get updated each time, I’m providing a dynamic link below so that each time I add rice recipes, clicking on this link will still take you to all of them in one fell swoop.
So click here for all Pressure Cooker Rice Recipes from Twosleevers
EQUIPMENT & INGREDIENTS YOU MAY NEED TO MAKE PERFECT PRESSURE COOKER BROWN RICE
- Instant Pot Mini Duo or Instant Pot 6 quart or Instant Pot 8 Quart
- Measuring cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Rice rinser and drainer
- Long-grain brown basmati
How to get perfect pressure cooker brown rice each time. No more over or undercooked rice, get perfect brown rice in your Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker.
Rinse and drain the rice using either your hands to cup and drain, or a rinser made for this purpose.
Put rice, water, ghee, and salt into your electric pressure cooker or Instant Pot.
Cook at high pressure for 22 minutes, and allow it to release pressure naturally for 10 minutes.
Do not skip the natural release time, as this time is essential for the rice to "steam" and cook further.
Love this recipe? Check out Traditional Indian Dishes made easy and fast with my new cookbook!
This Instant Pot cookbook contains:
- 50 Quick and Easy Recipes requiring minimal ingredients and 60 minutes or less of prep and cook time
- Prep Advice for stocking your kitchen with the best tools and spices
- Instant Pot Guide making the most of your Instant Pot for delicious Indian dishes
- Handy Tips substituting ingredients for variations on your favorite recipes
Order your copy today!
- Ready to upgrade your Instant Pot with must have accessories? Check them out here!
- You’ll also love these top 20 gadgets for foodies that will complement any kitchen!