Lebanese Lentils and Rice or Mujadara recipe is a one-pot, one-step dish, that uses the Instant Pot to make this classic comfort dish.
Lentils and Rice Mujadara
Call it Kushari, Mujadara, Khichidi, or Lentils and Rice, but most cultures have some version of these Greek Lentils. I love the Lebanese/Greek version but when I've tried it in the past, the lentils and rice cook at different speeds so you end up having to cook them separately, or suffer undercooked lentils or overcooked rice.
I was determined to cook this as a one-pot, one-step dish and use the Instant Pot to do it so I didn't have to stand and stir while it cooked.
It worked, but I had to make two modifications, which really didn't affect the taste as much as I feared they would. For one, I used the French Puy lentils rather than the traditional lentils since these cook faster.
Here's a picture I found that shows you the difference.
Secondly, I had to soak the French lentils, which I don't typically do with them. But I used a quick soak in hot water, and it really helped.
I also had to undercook the onions a bit as my son won't eat crisped onions (why, I do not know but whatever). Make yours nice as brown and crisp as you want, and enjoy the flavors.
I think kids find crisped onions to be somewhat bitter so if you're feeding little ones, you may want to go easy on the crisping, as I did.
So the steps for Greek Lentils and Rice are:
- Soak the lentils in hot water before you get started
- While they're soaking, brown the onions and wash the rice
- Cook all of it in an Instant Pot.
If you can't find French lentils where you live, I suggest you soak regular lentils but use brown rice, and adjust the water accordingly. Both regular lentils and brown rice take 20 mins in the Instant Pot so those should work together.
IF YOU LIKE LENTILS AND RICE, CHECK OUT THIS KHIDCHADI LENTILS AND RICE RECIPE!
WANT MORE INSTANT POT ONE POT MEALS?
- Here's another list of One-pot Instant Pot Rice Meals that you'll enjoy.
- Instant Pot Butter Chicken is an easy 30-minute dinner and you can make rice on top of it, as the video shows.
- Pressure Cooker Rice and Dal is a great vegetarian rice dinner.
- This Lebanese Lentil and Rice dish is another great vegetarian Instant Pot recipe.
- Instant Pot Indian Khichadi is comfort food in a bowl!
- Instant Pot Risotto with Shrimp is another one-pot comfort meal.
- Buffalo chicken casserole for the days you want low carb recipes
- You might also like low carb chicken Biryani that uses riced cauliflower.
- Chicken and Mushrooms are a great combo.
- My kids love Instant Pot Pork Rice with Vegetable
EQUIPMENT YOU MAY NEED TO MAKE THIS INSTANT POT PRESSURE COOKER MUJADARA RECIPE:
- Instant Pot Mini Duo, or Instant pot 6 quarts, or Instant Pot 8 Quarts
- Measuring Cups
- My favorite Cutting Board
- Good set of Kitchen Knives
? Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below! Just click on the stars in the recipe card to rate.
- 1/3 cup (64 g) lentils
- 2 cup (320 g) Onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons (2 tablespoons) Ghee
- 1 cup (185 g) Basmati Rice, rinsed (do not substitute short grain rice otherwise the water proportions will be off)
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) Ground Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) Ground Coriander
- 2 cups (500 g) Water
- Kosher Salt, to taste
- Soak the lentils in enough hot water to cover them well, and let them soak while you get everything else going.
- Turn on your Instant Pot to Sauté, and when it's hot, add 1 tablespoon of ghee. When the ghee starts to shimmer, add in your thinly sliced onion, sprinkle with a little salt, and sauté for about 5-10 minutes until the onions are crisping around the edges, but not burned. If you have some extra time before dinner needs to be on the table, keep cooking until they are well-browned.
- Remove half the onions to serve as a garnish.
- Place all remaining ingredients into the Instant Pot, stir well, and set it to High Pressure for 6 minutes.
- Allow it to NPR for 10 minutes, and then release remaining pressure. You may still have a little moisture left in the rice. Stir it gently but well, and leave the lid half off and half on the pot. You want it to steam the rice, but you need some of that water to evaporate off as well.
- Let it rest undisturbed for 5-10 minutes. Stirring frequently will break up the delicate rice.
- Uncover and place into your serving dish, and sprinkle with the reserved, browned onions.
Get support & connect with our community on Facebook!
Don't forget to check out my Instant Pot Fast & Easy Cookbook!
This book is full of all kinds of boldly flavored and internationally-themed recipes—Mexican, Thai, Moroccan, and more—with Instant Pot Fast & Easy, fully authorized by Instant Pot. Just like you have come to expect, my recipes will work perfectly every time, and of course taste great too. And because these are Instant Pot recipes, dishes like Japanese Chicken Curry, Chinese Steamed Ribs, and Mexican Pulled Pork are ready in a fraction of the time they would take using traditional cooking methods. As with all of my recipes, the focus is on whole foods instead of artificial convenience ingredients, so the recipes are delicious, easy, and healthful too.