If you want to make a chicken and mushroom recipe, but don’t want to use cream of mushroom soup, have I got just the thing for you! Super easy, very delicious pour and cook, creamy chicken and mushrooms with garlic makes an elegant but family-friendly dinner–if your family likes mushrooms of course!
I never cook with canned soups at all. I have no idea what’s in them, they invariably have flour which I try to avoid, but really, the main reason I don’t cook with them is that it’s so easy to make your own thick and creamy soup.
A few aromatics, lashings of cream, and hey presto! You’ve got a wonderful low carb chicken recipe–and if you do it right, it can even be a keto chicken recipe which is just perfect.
What’s nice about this particular chicken and mushroom dish is that not only is it made in the Instant Pot (or any other pressure cooker), but it also includes spinach and other vegetables.
This way, you can make one dish and have it contain meat, sauce, and vegetables. Makes dinner time very easy.
VARIATIONS ON THIS INSTANT POT PRESSURE COOKER CHICKEN AND MUSHROOM RECIPE:
- Swap out swiss chard or kale for the spinach
- Change out the mushrooms you use, or better still use a mix of mushrooms for an even deeper flavor
- Make it with chicken breast instead. Be sure to cut the chicken breast in half at the thickest part to ensure even cooking in the pressure cooker.
★ DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? DON’T FORGET TO GIVE IT A STAR RATING BELOW! JUST CLICK ON THE STARS IN THE RECIPE CARD TO RATE.
Instant Pot Chicken and Mushroom Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sliced onions
- 6 garlic cloves sliced thin
- 2 cups mushrooms cut into quarters
- 1 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Turn the Instant Pot on Sauté. When it is hot, add the butter and allow it to melt. Add garlic cloves and stir. Allow them to soften, about 1 minute, taking care to not burn the garlic.
- Add onions and mushrooms, and stir to coat with the butter
- Add thyme, chicken, salt, pepper, and water. Place the baby spinach leaves on top.
- Set the Instant Pot at High pressure for 8 minutes. When cook time is complete, allow the pot to sit undisturbed for 10 minutes and then release any remaining pressure.
- Open the lid and turn the Instant Pot to Sauté once again. Pour in the cream in a steady stream, while stirring. The sauce will start to thicken, about 5-8 minutes. Add in lemon juice while still stirring, and then you are ready to serve your masterpiece.