One step, one Pot, less than 5 ingredients, and you've got an authentic tasting Hainanese Chicken Rice Instant Pot recipe that your whole family will love.
What Makes This Hainan Chicken So Good?
- Fast. Made in less than 30 minutes with the help of this Instant Pot recipe.
- Easy. A simple pour and cook recipe.
- Few Ingredients. Made with less than 5 ingredients.
- Authentic tasting. Not an authentic cooking method, but the flavor is fantastic.
What Is Hainanese Chicken Rice?
Hainanese Chicken Rice is a rice and chicken dish that is very popular in Singapore, Malaysia, and Thailand. It is called Khao Man Gai in Thailand. It is based on Wenchang Chicken, a popular Chinese dish that has been adopted in various regions of Asia.
How Do You Make Traditional Hainanese Chicken?
I just want to say, I do know how to make this dish properly I just don't want to spend hours making it. I wanted it for dinner and if you want proper Hainanese chicken for dinner you better start early.
- Boil the chicken. People traditionally use chicken breast but you can also use chicken thighs.
- Submerge the chicken in cold water to get a smooth texture.
- Make rice with rendered chicken fat.
- Make a killer sauce to serve with it.
Of course, that's not how I did it. But I promise you'll be just as satisfied with this version.
How To Make Instant Pot Hainan Chicken Rice
- Pour. Put rice and water in the Instant Pot
- Add. Place chicken breast or thighs cut into small pieces on top of the rice.
- Dump. Pour in the paste
- Cook. Set your Instant Pot to high pressure for 6 minutes, 10 Mins NPR
So, of course, I cooked the chicken and the rice in one pot and I used a mix that contains ginger and fat. No really, I use a mix for this. You guys know I never use pre-made mixes, but I do use this Asian Gourmet Hainanese Chicken Rice Mix because it is AWESOME and effortless.
This is a super family-friendly dish that's hard to get wrong if you make it my "lazy person" way.
What Kind Of Chicken Should You Use?
I typically use skinless chicken breast, but if you use chicken with the skin still on it, it renders more fat. More fat equals more flavor for the rice.
If you prefer to use chicken thighs, I've tried it this way too. It's just as delicious.
Where's The Dipping Sauce?
Traditionally this Hainan Chicken recipe is served with a super flavorful and delicious dipping sauce. But I was in a hurry when I created this recipe and it was good without it. If you have a few extra minutes and want to take the dish up a notch, try making this dipping sauce. You'll need:
You'll want to mix this together and serve on the side to drizzle over the Hainan Chicken.
Want More One Pot Instant Pot Recipes?
- Instant Pot Butter Chicken is an easy 30-minute dinner and you can make rice on top of it, as the video shows.
- Pressure Cooker Rice and Dal is a great vegetarian rice dinner.
- This Lebanese Lentil and Rice dish is another great Vegetarian Instant Pot recipe.
- Instant Pot Indian Khichadi is comfort food in a bowl!
- Instant Pot Risotto with Shrimp is another one-pot comfort meal.
- Buffalo chicken casserole for the days you want low carb recipes
- You might also like low carb Chicken Biryani that uses riced cauliflower.
- Chicken and Mushrooms are a great combo.
- My kids love Instant Pot Pork Chops with Rice and Vegetables
- Zucchini Lasagna- You won't even miss the pasta.
- Haluski Recipe - A wonderful cabbage and noodles recipe.
If your family loves this recipe for Hainanese Chicken Rice as much as my family does, make sure you share it with your friends on Facebook and Pinterest so you can make it again soon.
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below! Just click on the stars in the recipe card to rate. Don't forget to pin this recipe for later!
- I don't even know why I'm bothering to write a proper recipe for this because basically you put everything in your Instant pot or pressure cooker.
- Mix together water and rice.
- Cut chicken breast into 3 pieces and lay on top of rice.
- Add seasoning packet.
- Set your cooker on high pressure for 6 minutes, and allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, and then release all remaining pressure.
Get support & connect with our community on Facebook!
Originally published July 7, 2017