Now here’s an easy Instant Pot Pressure Cooker Low Carb Italian Sausage Kale soup. Create a hearty, comforting low carb soup in your Instant Pot or Pressure cooker. This soup is easy, delicious, freezes well and actually tastes even better the next day.
Okay first things first. I refuse to call this a Low Carb Zuppa Toscana. I have no idea what Olive Garden’s Zuppa Toscana tastes like.
Instead I will call this what it is, which is a delicious low carb soup that just happens to have Italian Sausage, Kale, Cauliflower, and other goodness in it, and is a soup that I’ve been making for years and years. Why it’s taken me so long to post this recipe is anyone’s guess, but we’re here now so let’s enjoy it.
So there you have it. Low Carb Italian Sausage Kale soup. Made in a pressure cooker or an Instant Pot.
Note that this makes a rich, fatty soup because you’re not draining the fat from the Italian Sausage. Part of learning to eat–and enjoy Keto– for me, was to embrace naturally occurring fats in my food.
Not only do they keep me full longer, they are really the only things that don’t stimulate an insulin response. They prompt satiety, but they also make your food taste good.
But I get that not everyone loves this, so if you want a less fatty soup you have two choices. You could either refrigerate the soup and skim off the fat, or you could use fully cooked and drained Italian Sausage in your soup.
Incidentally, I just recently created a post with 15 low carb soups for your Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker, so I hope you check those out as well.
EQUIPMENT & INGREDIENTS YOU MAY NEED TO MAKE PRESSURE COOKER LOW CARB ITALIAN SAUSAGE KALE SOUP:
- Instant Pot Mini Duo or Instant Pot 6 quart or Instant Pot 8 Quart
- Measuring cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Cutting Board (my fav one)
- Good set of Kitchen knives
Low Carb Italian Sausage Kale Soup create a hearty, comforting low carb soup in your Instant Pot or Pressure cooker. Easy, delicious, freezes well.
- 1 cup onion diced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage removed from casing
- 12 oz frozen cauliflower
- 12 oz frozen kale
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
Turn your pressure cooker on to Sauté.
When it is hot, add in the sausage and using a wooden spoon, break up the meat so it is more like ground beef rather than a sausage. In other words, smooth the sausages down and break them into bits. Be ruthless.
Add in the onions and garlic and mix well. Don’t worry about cooking the sausage, the pressure cooker will do that for you. Your job is to just mix everything up.
Add in the frozen cauliflower and frozen kale. Don't worry about mixing these, they will mix in as they thaw and cook.
Add in 3 cups of water and close the pressure cooker.
Cook on High pressure for 3 minutes, and allow it to release pressure naturally for 5 minutes. Slowly release all remaining pressure.
Do this in bursts and if your cooker starts to spit or froth, just stop for a few minutes and try again.
Open the pot and stir. In a slow and steady stream, add the whipping cream and mix until you have a lovely, creamy soup. It’s okay to mash some of the cauliflower with your spoon at this time to get a thicker soup.
Pour into bowls, garnish with shredded parmesan cheese, and serve.
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating above! Just click on the stars in the recipe card to rate.
If you’re squeamish about fat in your soups, you may want to either refrigerate and skim the fat off the soup, or use fully cooked and drained Italian Sausage in your soup. I tend to see fat as a good thing for Keto, but YMMV
- Check out my Pressure Cooker Mexican Recipes e-Cookbook.
- Do you have your copy of Traditional Indian Dishes made easy and fast with my new cookbook!
- This Instant Pot cookbook contains:
- 50 Quick and Easy Recipes requiring minimal ingredients and 60 minutes or less of prep and cook time
- Prep Advice for stocking your kitchen with the best tools and spices
- Instant Pot Guide making the most of your Instant Pot for delicious Indian dishes
- Handy Tips substituting ingredients for variations on your favorite recipes
- This Instant Pot cookbook contains:
- Order your copy today!
- Ready to upgrade your Instant Pot with must have accessories? Check them out here!
- You’ll also love these top 20 gadgets for foodies that will complement any kitchen!