Here’s what I do. I make 4 servings, we each eat one serving, and I freeze 2 servings in 1 cup containers. So rather than set aside time for special freezer meals for your pressure cooker, you could just double the recipes as you cook them–and save half for the next time.
A small sampling of what’s in my freezer as my Instant Pot freezer meals:
Tips and Tricks for successful Instant Pot Freezer Meals:
- Pick sturdy items that don’t disintegrate upon re-cooking. Cooked seafood is a little harder to reheat so I tend to stay away from it.
- Include some sauce or liquid with the item for better reheating
- Don’t mix huge pieces of meat with smaller pieces of vegetables. Rather cut up the meat little before freezing, to get even reheating.
- If you’re freezing larger portions, place the food in a plastic freezer bag–and then place the bag in a round container so that the food freezes round, and can just be tipped into the Instant Pot liner.
- Meals that include dairy have to be treated differently as dairy curdles under pressure. I often ask you to leave out the butter and cream in the butter chicken sauce if you intend to reheat it under pressure. This is not an issue for microwave heating.
- I know many of you will ask about reheating in the Instant Pot. I think that will work for larger quantities, but for 1-2 cup sizes honestly, I find the microwave to be a lot faster.
- Label, label, label, and don’t forget to label. EVERYTHING looks the same when it’s frozen. Use freezer-safe labels that stay secure but come off easily to mark your food.
- Cook a variety of different cuisines and meals for two weeks in a row so no one gets tired of eating large portions of the same things over and over. Many nights, all three of us pick entirely different things to eat. Freezing in 1 serving containers rather than a large family-size serving means less waste, more variety and faster reheating for us.
If you found this article helpful, please consider sharing it on your social media accounts. Thank you 🙂
★ Be sure to check out my best-selling Indian Instant Pot Cookbook for other great ideas!
★ You’ll also love these top 20 gadgets for foodies that will complement any kitchen!