Why This Ropa Vieja Recipe Is Perfect For Your Low Carb Lifestyle
- Fast. Only 30 minutes of cook time under pressure in your Instant Pot.
- Easy. A simple pour and cook recipe.
- Low Carb. 9 net carbs per serving and packed with veggies.
- Gluten Free. Great for families with specific dietary needs.
A colorful feast for the eyes as well as your tastebuds, make this dish with less than 10 minutes of prep time. This Ropa Vieja makes a lovely sauce to pour over rice, or to have with a side salad to serve a tasty, low-carb meal.
Is Ropa Vieja Mexican Or Cuban?
The debate on this continues, but I think there is now a general consensus from the members of my Facebook Group today (Jan 15, 2018), that Mexican Ropa Vieja, especially from the Veracruz region does indeed use both paprika and ancho chile. So I initially had it listed as Cuban, but I'm changing it be Mexican, as that is more authentic for this flavor profile.
What Is Ropa Vieja?
Ropa Vieja means old clothes, and the name telegraphs the final appearance of the dish which, with its long shreds of meat and vegetables, can be likened to a pile of old rags. Thankfully it doesn't taste anything like that, so go ahead and make it!
I tried to make this dish with spices you'd be extremely likely to have at home. This is also why I chose a chuck steak rather than a long piece of flank steak, which is traditional with this dish. I could only find really big pieces of flank steak, and I didn't really want to make 2-3 lbs of meat this weekend. But if you intend to double the recipe, and prefer to use flank steak, that will also work well. However, it will be a little less tender and less fatty.
What You'll Need To Make This Ropa Vieja Instant Pot Recipe
- Sliced Onions
- Sliced Sweet Peppers
- Canned Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- Chuck steak
- Ground Cumin
- Kosher Salt
- Smoked Paprika
- Ancho Chile Powder
- Dried Oregano
- Sliced pimento-stuffed olives
How To Make Instant Pot Ropa Vieja
- Pour meat, vegetables, and spices into your pressure cooker
- Cook for 30 mins HP, 10 mins NPR
- Shred meat, add olives, and serve
Want More Delicious Mexican Recipes?
Looking for more awesome Mexican food dishes? Check out my Mexican Corn Eloté! This sweet and savory dish is real easy to make in your air fryer!
Another tasty Mexican food recipe you should check out is my Mexican Rice Recipe! This delicious and authentic Mexican rice recipe is a breeze to make in your instant pot.
If you love this Instant Pot Ropa Vieja recipe as much as we do, make sure you share it with your friends on Facebook and Pinterest so they can try it too!
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below! Just click on the stars in the recipe card to rate. Don't forget to pin this recipe for later!
- 1.5 cups (240 g) Sliced Onions
- 1 cup (149 g) Sliced Sweet Peppers
- 6 cloves (6 cloves) Garlic
- 2 cups (520 g) Canned Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 1 pound (453.59 g) chuck steak
- 1 teaspoon (1 teaspoon) Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon (1 teaspoon) Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon (1 teaspoon) Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) Ancho Chile Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) Dried Oregano
- 1/2 cup (67.5 g) sliced pimento-stuffed olives
- Pour all ingredients into the inner liner of your Instant Pot or pressure cooke and press the MEAT button and set to 30 minutes at high pressure.
- Once it is done cooking, allow it to release pressure naturally for 10 minutes, and then release all remaining pressure.
- Turn your Instant Pot on to Sauté and allow the sauce to start boiling so it stays hot.
- Meanwhile, remove the chuck steak carefully and cut or shred into long slices, and add back to the sauce.
- Add in the sliced olives and serve with rice or a side salad.