Instant Pot Black eyed peas, Tomato and Spinach. A nutritious vegetarian dish in less than 15 minutes. I love making easy, authentic Indian food at home.
When I’m feeling particularly lazy, I used to make a very quick black-eyed pea recipe, but I used to use canned beans which I prefer not to do. But ever since I made the Texas Caviar and understood you can make black-eyed peas in 10 minutes in the magic Instant Pot, I was determined to redo this in the Instant Pot and it was so simple.
The beans actually tasted better than canned, because they weren’t overdone and mushy. The only thing you have chop is one tomato. That’s it. Everything else is just pour and cook. Couldn’t be simpler.
THE RECIPE STEPS FOR THIS PRESSURE COOKER VEGETARIAN INDIAN BLACK-EYED PEAS WITH SPINACH OR INDIAN LOBIA ARE:
- Sauté the tomato, ginger, and garlic in ghee/oil
- Pour everything else in, and cook at HP for 10 mins, NPR for 10 minutes.
- 1 tablespoon Ghee or Oil
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon Black Mustard Seeds (or omit and double up on cumin seeds)
- 1 tablespoon Garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 cup Tomatoes , diced
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric
- 1/4 - 1 teaspoon Cayenne (adjust to desired spice level)
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Coriander
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup unsoaked black eyed peas
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- Heat Instant Pot on HIGH on Sauté, and when it's hot add ghee/oil. When the oil is hot, add the mustard and/or cumin seeds. They will begin to sputter like popcorn. Add in the ginger and garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add in the tomato and cook for 1-2 minutes until the tomato is softened.
- Add all the spices and mix well.
- Add water and beans, and mix.
- Place spinach on top, close the pot and set on High Pressure for 10 minutes. Allow 10 minutes of natural pressure release and release any remaining pressure.
- Serve with rice, chapattis or naan.