This Instant Pot Kenyan Kunde is a nutritious recipe with black-eyed peas and peanuts that makes a yummy, filling vegan recipe in your pressure cooker. Start with dry beans and have dinner ready in under 30 minutes!
Kunde is the Swahili word for Black-eyed peas, but if you look for Kunde recipes, you will find ones with just greens and no beans at all. I do find these to be a better bet since it's almost a full meal in one. The combination of beans and peanut butter is absolutely delicious and very nutritious and filling.
This Kenyan Kunde recipe is made from dry, unsoaked beans. One of the great selling points about an Instant Pot or pressure cooker, is the ability to make beans without pre-soaking.
My own experience suggests that larger beans like garbanzos, red kidney beans etc. do benefit from a one-hour soak in hot water. But for smaller beans like Black-eyed peas, I always cook them without pre-soaking.
I've provided suggestions for other substitutions for this dish in the recipe card as well.
OTHER RECIPES THAT YOU MAY ENJOY:
This is a very popular black-eyed peas with spinach recipe. I want you to look this because it actually has a lot in common with this Kenyan Kunde Recipe--but it tastes completely different. That different taste is entirely due to the different spices used in the two recipes. I love how you can use essentially the same vegetables and make the dishes taste entirely different.
Here's a West African Peanut stew that you may also enjoy. Although I used chicken in that recipe, there's no reason you couldn't make it vegetarian if you preferred.
If you're looking for more delicious bean or lentil recipes, check out my list of 39+ Easy Instant Pot Bean and Lentil Recipes!
Looking for some more great vegan recipes to cook in your Instant Pot? Here are 53 of the BEST Vegan Instant Pot Recipes you can make!
EQUIPMENT YOU MAY NEED TO MAKE THIS INSTANT POT PRESSURE COOKER KENYAN KUNDE BLACK-EYED PEAS WITH PEANUTS:
- Instant Pot Mini Duo, or Instant pot 6 quarts, or Instant Pot 8 Quarts
- Measuring Cups
- My favorite Cutting Board
- Good set of Kitchen Knives
? Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below! Just click on the stars in the recipe card to rate.
- 1 cup (160 g) onions, chopped
- 1 cup (242 g) Canned Tomatoes
- 1 cup (172 g) dry Black-eyed peas
- 2.5 cups (625 g) Water
- 2 cups (72 g) frozen Swiss Chard
- 1 teaspoon (1 teaspoon) Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon (1 teaspoon) Ground Black Pepper
- 1/4-1/2 cup (64.5 g) Creamy Peanut Butter, (depending on how much you love PB)
- Pour all ingredients EXCEPT peanut butter into the inner liner of your Instant Pot and stir well.
- Add peanut butter on the top and ensure that everything in the pot including the peanut butter is submerged in the liquid, but do not stir the peanut butter in. You're doing this to keep it from sticking to the pot and burning.
- Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. Let the pot sit undisturbed for 10 minutes and then release all remaining pressure.
- Open the pot, stir to mix and serve.
Watch The Video
- Omit Swiss Chard and cook just the black-eyed peas Substitute
- Spinach for the Swiss chard
- Add 2-inch cubes of pumpkin or butternut squash instead of the swiss chard
- Add chopped cilantro and chopped green onions after cooking, and stir in well.
- Add 1 teaspoon curry powder.
Get support & connect with our community on Facebook!
Don't forget to check out my Instant Pot Fast & Easy Cookbook!
This book is full of all kinds of boldly flavored and internationally-themed recipes–Mexican, Thai, Moroccan, and more–with Instant Pot Fast & Easy, fully authorized by Instant Pot. Just like you have come to expect, my recipes will work perfectly every time, and of course taste great too. And because these are Instant Pot recipes, dishes like Japanese Chicken Curry, Chinese Steamed Ribs, and Mexican Pulled Pork are ready in a fraction of the time they would take using traditional cooking methods. As with all of my recipes, the focus is on whole foods instead of artificial convenience ingredients, so the recipes are delicious, easy, and healthful too.