This very simple but tasty Persian Yogurt Spinach Dip is called Borani. While you can make Borani with a variety of other ingredients such as eggplant (borani bademjan), beetroot, etc., I made this one with Spinach, or Borani Esfanaj.
I made this Yogurt Spinach Dip in my Instant Pot but this cooks so fast that there’s no reason you can’t do it stove top or really, even in the microwave.
This is one of those recipes that is so simple that I wonder about posting it, but the fact is, it was delicious. And if something is both easy and delicious, it’s definitely one of my favorite things.
But because it is so simple, I’ll share with you a few different variations that you can make with this recipe as well. If you’re looking for other Yogurt Spinach recipes, check out the Indian Chicken Curry with Yogurt and Spinach as well.
And if you’re looking for more great Persian recipes, make this super simple, and very flavorful Instant Pot Sabzi Polo recipe to go with any meat or vegetable.
The Recipe steps for this Persian Yogurt Spinach Dip are:
- Cook vegetables in a pressure cooker for 2 mins Low Pressure, QPR
- Mix with yogurt
- Chill and Serve
EQUIPMENT & INGREDIENTS YOU MAY NEED TO MAKE BORANI PERSIAN SPINACH YOGURT DIP
- Instant Pot Mini Duo or Instant Pot 6 quart or Instant Pot 8 Quart
- Measuring cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Black Pepper
- Minced garlic
- Servings: 6Calories: 39kcalClick on highlighted ingredients or Equipment to see exactly what I use to make this recipe
- 10 ounces (283.5 g) fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup (80 g) onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons (2 tablespoons) Water
- 4 cloves (4 cloves) Garlic
- 1 cup (200 g) Greek Yogurt, or sub vegan yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) Ground Black Pepper
- Place spinach, garlic, onions, and water into your pressure cooker.
- Cook for 2 minutes at low pressure, and release pressure quickly.
- Smoosh the veggies with the back of your spoon to mix up and crush any big pieces.
- Mix in with yogurt and black pepper. Chill before serving.
- Variations:-Roast and grind together 1/2 teaspoon cumin and 1 teaspoon coriander seeds and add.-Add 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon- Add 2 tablespoons chopped dill- Add 1/4 cup chopped cilantro-Throw in 1/2 jalapeño during cooking, and be sure to crush it well afterwards.
Get support & connect with our community on Facebook!
NutritionCalories: 39kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 5g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 50mg | Potassium: 338mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 4430IU | Vitamin C: 14.9mg | Calcium: 90mg | Iron: 1.3mgTried this recipe?Follow @twosleevers and Pin it!