One step Baked Chicken Poppers combine chicken, 2 kinds of cheese, peppers and bacon to get a hearty, keto-friendly low carb appetizer.
I love making cream-cheese stuffed poppers, but i don’t love the time it take to stuff each one, and sometimes I don’t love how the peppers get soggy and fall down on my shirt.
Not that THAT has ever happened to me–right before a meeting–but I’m just saying.
So I’ve been thinking about how todo this in one step and I figured I’d try a Baked Chicken Poppers recipe.
Traditionally the way this is made is that you’d slice jalapeños in half, you’d stuff each half with cream cheese and a piece of chicken, and then you’d wrap all of it in a slice of bacon, and then you’d either grill, broil, air-fry or bake these.
Instead, we’re going to dump everything in and bake it, and we’re going to add more cheese, because why not?
I think this dish is best served as a side or an appetizer rather than a main course because it’s actually quite rich with all the cheese. Of course that makes it perfect for keto, and with the fat and protein macros, it’s also very filling, but I don’t know that I could chow down on a 4 oz portion of this by myself for a meal.
I made this in a small, very cute cast iron skillet so if you use something else, it’s possible you may have to cook a little longer. Just check to ensure the chicken is cooked, and you should be good to go.
THE STEPS FOR MAKING THESE KETO BAKED CHICKEN POPPERS ARE:
- Mix together everything except bacon and scallions
- Pour into skillet, place bacon on top
- Bake at 350F for 30 minutes
- Scatter with scallions and serve
- 1 pound (149 g) Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs, diced
- 1.5 cups (223.5 g) sweet peppers, diced
- 4 (4 ) Jalapeño Peppers, chopped (adjust to desired spice level)
- 2 ounces (113.4 g) Cream Cheese
- 1 cup (112 g) Mexican Blend Shredded Cheese
- 2 teaspoons (1 teaspoon) Mexican Red Chili Powder, (NOT cayenne)
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) Garlic Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) Salt
- 4 slices (4 slices) Bacon
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- Turn on your oven to 350F.
- Mix everything except the bacon and scallions together until you get a nice, homogenous mixture.
- Put the mixture into a greased baking pan. I used an 8 inch cast iron pan.
- Cut each slice of bacon into 3-4 pieces. Lay the pieces of bacon on top of the casserole in a circle.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the chicken is cooked through.
- Scatter with fresh scallions and serve.
- The casserole is very rich so I'd plan to serve it as a side dish or appetizer rather than a main course.