This Iced Caramel Macchiato is your answer to all your keto iced coffee woes. It's quick, keto-friendly and will help you save money by avoiding that daily coffee shop trip.
What Makes This Iced Caramel Macchiato So Great
- Low Carb. This Skinny Caramel Macchiato is a lovely low carb variation on your typical bulletproof coffee drink.
- Simple. This quick recipe asks you to make a lovely, thick creamer with butter and cream, and add a sugar-free Torani syrup of your choice. Once you've prepared the base for this copycat Starbucks recipe you can refrigerate it and use it to make this delicious keto beverage whenever you get the craving.
- Quick. At that point, it takes just a moment to brew up a little shot of espresso or a small cup of really strong coffee and add the flavored, creamy goodness to your coffee.
How To Make A Caramel Macchiato
- Heat. In a small saucepan, on medium heat together the unsalted butter and heavy whipping cream, stirring frequently.
- Stir. Once the mixture comes to a boil, stir almost continuously until the creamer turns a pale yellow color, and thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 4-5 minutes.
- Pour. Slowly pour in the sugar-free Torani syrup, stirring well. Allow the mixture to cool slightly.
- Fill. Fill four glasses with ice. In the bottom of each glass, pour in 1/4 cup almond milk and 2 tablespoons of the creamer you just prepared, and stir together.
- Pour. Quickly pour in the espresso or strong coffee. (Read more about how to get the perfect cup of coffee every time at Owly Choice) Do not stir. Top with whipped cream and drizzle with the sugar-free Caramel sauce. Serve with the creamer and milk at the bottom, the coffee in the middle, and the whipped cream on top.
What Is In A Caramel Macchiato?
So you're going to make a little homemade keto coffee creamer. To do this, you need three things: Butter, heavy whipping cream, and a sugar-free Torani syrup. I used sugar-free salted caramel, but you can use whatever syrup you prefer.
At my Kroger, I find the syrups for my keto drink in the coffee aisle. I've included a picture below so you see what it looks like. This way you will know exactly where to look for these Torani Sugar-Free Syrups.
As I make this today, it's still close to 100F in Texas, so I'm reaching for an iced version of my favorite copycat Keto Starbucks drink, but I can just see this working really well for me in the Fall as well.
While everyone else is getting a super-sugared spiced latte, I will probably be drinking a Keto version of my Caramel Macchiato-- and let's face, it, probably feeling very smug and proud of myself for not succumbing to the sugar bomb they're ingesting.
What Coffee Creamer Can I Use On Keto?
I am a huge fan of Torani Syrups, not just in drinks like this one, but also in puddings and fat bomb recipes. And I love that there are so many different Sugar-Free Torani Syrups available.
Here are the flavors I know they have:
- Sugar-Free Vanilla
- Sugar-Free French Vanilla
- Sugar-Free Caramel
- Sugar-Free Salted Caramel
- Sugar-Free Raspberry
- Sugar-Free Hazelnut
- Sugar-Free Brown Sugar Cinnamon
I know this because I have actually BOUGHT all of these at one point or another--some repeatedly--over the last five years of living a keto lifestyle. My husband Roger loves them in his coffee and I love the variety. In fact, there have been times I have had SO MANY of these, that I have probably had a larger selection than my corner coffee shop does.
In fact, that is exactly why I prefer to make my own flavored coffees because the corner coffee shop only has Sugar Free Cinnamon Dolce and Sugar-free Vanilla--and I really like the Hazelnut and Caramel flavors.
Oh, and that sugar-free Caramel sauce or Sugar-Free Chocolate sauce on my Keto Ice cream? Heaven.
Why Make This Iced Caramel Macchiato Recipe At Home?
Bulletproof coffee recipes typically have butter or coconut oil, and heavy whipping cream. My problem is that when I'm trying to get my morning started with keto iced coffee, I don't necessarily want to mess with butter, coconut oil and coffee, the blending, the mixing and what have you.
So what I do is that I make up a sauce with butter, heavy whipping cream, and Torani sugar-free Salted Caramel syrup or Sugar-free Caramel Syrup. Butter works to help keep you full and makes this Keto Coffee Creamer creamy. I put this in a jar for about a week in the refrigerator. When I'm ready for an iced bulletproof coffee, I use this as a keto creamer to make easy bulletproof coffee.
A cup of ice, a shot of espresso, and 2 tablespoons of my creamer, and I'm usually good to go. You can, of course, add more or less creamer as you prefer.
But either way, you will have a wonderful Keto Iced Caramel Macchiato or hot Caramel Macchiato recipe. And with no more effort than simply pouring in a yummy, homemade creamer.
What Can I Put In My Keto Coffee?
I actually cannot consume a whole tablespoon of coconut oil or butter along with heavy whipping cream in one coffee without getting really, really sick. Having a keto creamer handy makes it easy for me to just drink a little bit of the bulletproof coffee at a time, rather than having to drink a whole lot of fat all in one go.
I also tend to fast for 16-18 hours at least 3 times a week, and on those days, I drink iced coffee all day long until I break my fast. There are many people who don't consume any fat while fasting, but this is what works for me. I usually end up with 1-2 tablespoons of this creamer twice a day in my bulletproof coffee.
As simple as this is, you might end up making several different flavors of keto coffee creamers and save them in your refrigerator until you're ready to use them. The MAIN reason to make it at home is the fact that it is sugar-free. For me, this really, really matters.
Is Half and Half Keto?
Half and half is keto-friendly. It has approximately half a carb per serving, depending on which brand you buy. Remember that carbs aren't the only thing you need to keep an eye on when you're living a low carb lifestyle. Half and half also contains around 20 calories per serving and those can add up just as fast.
More Keto Breakfast Recipes
- Keto Silver Dollar Pancakes - A fantastic low carb spin on a breakfast time classic.
- Keto Orange Scones - These pair perfectly with a cup of coffee and are a great way to start your day!
- Air Fried Herb and Cheese Frittata - Delicious and comes together so easily.
- Keto Granola - Just perfect with a little almond milk when you're craving crunchy cereal.
- Keto Shrimp And Grits - All that savory goodness you expect from a southern classic without all the carbs!
- Air Fryer Bacon - One of the easiest things to cook for breakfast.
- 15+ Easy and Delicious Low Carb Breakfast Ideas - A whole list of scrumptious Keto breakfast options.
Believe me, once you've made this delicious Keto Iced Caramel Macchiato, you'll never want to buy another Starbucks macchiato again! Don't forget to save this recipe by sharing it with your friends on Pinterest and Facebook!
- 1/4 cup (56.75 g) Unsalted Butter
- 1/4 cup (59.5 g) Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/2 cup (113 g) Torani sugar-free Caramel syrup
- 4 cups (56 g) ice
- 2 cups (60 g) Coffee, brewed strong or 2 cups of espresso prepared from espresso powder
- 1 cup (250 g) Unsweetened Almond Milk, optional
- Whipped Cream
- Torani sugar-free Caramel syrup
- In a small saucepan, on medium heat together the unsalted butter and heavy whipping cream, stirring frequently.
- Once the mixture comes to a boil, stir almost continuously until the creamer turns a pale yellow color, and thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 4-5 minutes.
- Slowly pour in the sugar-free Torani syrup, stirring well. Allow the mixture to cool slightly.
- Fill four glasses with ice. In the bottom of each glass, pour in 1/4 cup almond milk and 2 tablespoons of the creamer you just prepared, and stir together.
- Quickly pour in the espresso or strong coffee. Do not stir. Top with whipped cream and drizzle with the sugar-free Caramel sauce. Serve with the creamer and milk at the bottom, the coffee in the middle, and the whipped cream on top.
- Butter helps to keep you full.
- Don't add sugar or substitutes, it will spike your blood glucose causing you to get hungrier faster.
- Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to one week. (write the expiration date of your heavy cream on your container so you don't forget.)
Get support & connect with our community on Facebook!
Originally Published August 20, 2018
Don't forget to check out my other Keto cookbooks.
Keto Instant Pot, Keto Fat Bombs, Sweets, & Treats, and Easy keto in 30 minutes.
Sounds terrific!! Can’t wait to try this. Would have given five stars, but there is no mention of carbs in the drink. Thanks