Yes, you too can make an easy, elegant French Dessert at home, in your Instant pot or pressure cooker! This simple but very yummy Instant Pot Cherry Clafoutis uses frozen, defrosted cherries so that you can enjoy it any time of year.
I am no Julia Child (obviously) but I too can make French Desserts--but only if they are stupid easy. This Cherry Clafoutis qualifies. Basically, you take frozen, defrosted cherries. You mix up some eggs, milk, flour, and sweetener to make a custard, and you cook the two together. So if you're wondering, What is clafoutis, the simplest way I can describe this is fruit baked in a custard or fruit baked in a batter.
Which brings us to making Cherry Clafoutis in an Instant Pot. Traditionally, of course, this is baked. But I often make Instant Pot cakes that were supposed to be baked and they are actually quite delicious. If you haven't tried my Instant Pot Keto Carrot Cake.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT CHERRY CLAFOUTIS, A FRENCH DESSERT:
So does the Instant Pot actually BAKE these cakes?
Not in the least. They are steamed cakes.
But they do not taste soggy at all. They are just moist and usually fairly light. It's a great way to make cakes without heating up the whole kitchen with your oven.
To make this very simple Instant Pot Cherry Clafoutis, which is a classic French dessert, you need no fancy ingredients. Frozen, thawed cherries, sugar, milk, flour, vanilla extract--and some lemon juice.
The lemon juice really helps perk up the flavor of the cherries so don't pass up on that. But other than that, this is a dessert a child could make. It was one of the first things that my son Alex learned how to make in fact.
VARIATIONS ON THIS INSTANT POT CHERRY CLAFOUTIS RECIPE:
I've made this with many different berries. So if you're craving a raspberry dessert for example, make this with raspberries. Really any kind of berry will work. But so will different soft stone fruits. I do think you need the fruit to be super ripe if you're going to use plums or peaches, as there isn't enough time to truly cook the fruit down.
HOW TO COOK POT IN POT IN A PRESSURE COOKER
This dessert is made Pot-in-Pot or PIP. If you would like to learn more about PIP cooking, be sure to check out my pot-in-pot video. In it, I've tried to cover the principles behind PIP cooking in a pressure cooker.
If you're living a low carb lifestyle, check out my Mixed Berry Custard! It's a lot like this clafoutis but it's keto friendly.
Want More Instant Pot Recipes?
- Instant Pot Butter Chicken is an easy 30-minute dinner and you can make rice on top of it, as the video shows.
- Pressure Cooker Rice and Dal is a great vegetarian rice dinner.
- This Lebanese Lentil and Rice dish is another great Vegetarian Instant Pot recipe.
- Instant Pot Indian Khichadi is comfort food in a bowl!
- Instant Pot Risotto with Shrimp is another one-pot comfort meal.
- Buffalo chicken casserole for the days you want low carb recipes
- You might also like low carb Chicken Biryani that uses riced cauliflower.
- Chicken and Mushrooms are a great combo.
- My kids love Instant Pot Pork Chops with Rice and Vegetables
- Zucchini Lasagna- You won't even miss the pasta.
- Haluski Recipe - A wonderful cabbage and noodles recipe.
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below! Just click on the stars in the recipe card to rate. Don't forget to pin this recipe for later!
- Place cherries in a heat-safe, well-greased 6 x 4 metal pan.
- In a blender on low speed, mix together the eggs, sweetener, flour milk, lemon zest and juice and vanilla. Pour this mixture on top of the cherries. Cover the pan with foil sealing well on all sides.
- Place two cups of water in the inner liner of your Instant Pot. Place a steamer rack into the inner liner.
- Place the foil-covered bowl on the rack.
- Cook at high pressure for 20 minutes. Allow the pot to rest undisturbed for 10 minutes, and then release all remaining pressure.
- At this point, you could choose to top with a little more sugar, and either broil or air fry the Clafoutis, or serve as is
- You can make a clafoutis with berries such as blueberries, strawberries, raspberries etc.