Here’s an easy Taco stuffed peppers make-ahead appetizer that is low carb, high protein, keto friendly, and takes nothing to put together. For this recipe, I use small sweet peppers, ground beef, and either cream cheese or grated cheese–or both if I am feeling decadent that day.
Best part–apart from low carb–is that you don’t have to worry about the shells getting soggy and disintegrating all over your white shirt–not like that’s ever happened to me before.
Okay that’s happened to me EVERY TIME I eat a hard shell taco.
It’s an old, old recipe that I first made 3 years ago, but it’s very popular at our house because mot only is it a great mix of flavors, the savory taco meat, creamy, melty cheese, crisp pepper crunch and sometimes the bacon that I wrap it in makes it a great interplay of textures as well.
We love Cream Cheese Poppers at our house. I wanted to create a higher protein version of these and so we made a slight variation. We flavored the meat with taco seasoning and added a couple of different kinds of cheese to it. Very yummy!
VARIATIONS ON LOW CARB TACO STUFFED PEPPERS
- Sometimes I use bacon to wrap these, other times I don’t bother. If you wrap with bacon, you need to place these in your air fryer or under the grill for a few minutes to cook the bacon. The peppers will soften and cook as you do this.
- This can be eaten with just meat, or you could add grated cheese to top the meat
- I also add cream cheese into it for a change of pace
? Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below! Just click on the stars in the recipe card to rate. Tag me with #TrustUrvashi if you post and I will share your post.
- Brown ground beef until the pink disappears.
- Add taco seasoning and mix well.
- Divide meat into two bowls. In one, mix in the cheddar cheese. In the second bowl, mix in the cream cheese.
- Cut open your sweet peppers and halve them lengthwise.
- Fill with each of the fillings.
- If using bacon, you will need small, sweet peppers. Cut the strip in half and stretch it around each pepper. Be sure to stretch so you can cover pepper, but also to get a thin layer of bacon so that it crisps quickly. Place wrapped pepper on a foil-lined baking pan and broil for 15 minutes or until bacon is crisp.
Get support & connect with our community on Facebook!