If this isn’t the best air fryer chile rellenos recipe you’ve ever had–or for that matter the best chile rellenos sauce recipe you’ve ever had–I will eat two of these in penance. But that’s not likely to happen. The best, easiest, tastiest air fryer chile rellenos you’ve never had.
So the odd thing about this recipe is that it’s for 3 chile rellenos. I know, I know, who makes 3?
Someone whose air fryer will only take 3 chiles, that’s who! if you have a Breville Smart Oven Air or a Power Oven Air fryer you can probably get 4 in at a time. In which case, just add a little corn and cheese and you should be good to go.
So this sauce. Let’s talk about the sauce. I know several of you will be writing to me telling me how it’s not authentic. Tomato paste you say? What?
Okay, you know what? Try it before you knock it. It is. So. Good. You’ll be grateful you have extra sauce when it’s all said and done.
HOW TO MAKE AIR FRYER CHILE RELLENOS
The way to do this efficiently is to get the chiles char and make the sauce while that happens. Then mix up the corn and cheese and have it ready for when the chiles are done and ready to go.
What I loved about charring the chiles in the air fryer was no smoke, no mess on the stove, and no standing around and turning it. I just put them in the air fryer, and they pretty much took care of themselves.
Looking for more great Mexican recipes to cook up in your air fryer? My Air Fried Carne Asada Recipe makes a delicious carne asada in no time!
? DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? DON’T FORGET TO GIVE IT A STAR RATING BELOW! JUST CLICK ON THE STARS IN THE RECIPE CARD TO RATE.
For the peppers:
- For the peppers: Place peppers in the air fryer basket. Set air fryer to 400°F for 10 minutes, turning peppers halfway through cook time. Remove peppers from air fryer (skins should be charred) and place in a resealable plastic bag to steam for 5 minutes. Peel skin and discard.
- In a medium bowl combine corn, scallion, cilantro, salt, black pepper, and grated cheese; set aside.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce: Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook onion for 5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds. Stir in tomato paste, chile powder, oregano, and cumin, and salt. Cook and stir 1 minute. Whisk in chicken stock, and lemon juice. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Cut a slit down the center of each poblano pepper, starting at the stem and continuing to the tip. Remove the seeds, being careful not to tear the chile.
- Carefully stuff each chile with a layer of half of the corn and cheese mixture, and 1 tablespoon of the crema.
- Place stuffed peppers in 6-inch heat-proof pan and place the pan in the air fryer basket. Set air fryer to 400°F for 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted
- Serve with red chile sauce.*
Don’t forget to check out my Air Fryer Cookbook!
Every one of the recipes in this book can be made in an hour or less, and many are on the table in as little as 30 minutes. You won’t find “cream of anything” cans in the ingredient list: instead, you’ll start with fresh ingredients–healthful meats and vegetables–and let the air fryer do the hard work. Unleash the full potential of your Air Fryer and eat healthfully every night.