Tacos are all the rage and rightfully so! I don’t know many people who don’t love tacos and I don’t blame them one bit. Tacos are a classic Mexican dish that are always a crowd pleaser. If you’re looking for a healthier chicken taco recipe, this Tacos de Alambre dish is a perfect choice.
Rich in taste, with all the flavors you would expect from a taco dish. Can you believe this is keto-friendly? What’s even better, it’s made with chicken and bacon, for a light yet, flavorful recipe.
Of course, many people are used to their taco recipe being made with ground beef. These Tacos de Alambre are chicken tacos, that doesn’t mean you can’t swap out for the meat you prefer.
Pay attention to any changes you might need to make such as draining the beef after cooking it, etc.
Tacos de Alambre | Keto Taco Meat Recipe
Tacos de Alambre is a popular Mexican dish that consists of meat, bacon, bell peppers, onions, cheese, salsa, and on occasion, some people like to use avocado. This dish is commonly served in homemade, warm tortillas. It’s bursting with flavor, especially with that bacon included.
This dish is traditionally served with grilled beef and all the ingredients listed above. However, any meat can be substituted. As you can see, I’ve used chicken instead of grilled beef.
Not only is chicken cheaper but, it’s leaner and many people prefer not to eat red meats. Besides, I usually only see chicken taco recipes that use chicken and salsa.
Which is fine–but #trustUrvashi–these are a LOT more flavorful than chicken tacos made with just salsa.
I like to serve my Chicken Tacos De Alambre with guacamole, and use a Mexican cheese blend instead of just any cheese.
I don’t use any strange or unheard of spices in this dish however, to get the best flavor, use the best spices and follow the exact type of spice I recommend in the ingredients list.
Can I freeze Chicken Tacos de Alambre?
This dish doesn’t freeze well once you’ve added the cheese. If you would like to save it for later by freezing it, you can make it without the cheese. Freeze it, and upon reheating it, add the cheese then. Be sure to freeze it in a freezer-friendly container for best results.
How to Make Chicken Tacos de Alambre
Definitely watch the video in this post for a short version. For the longer version, head on over to Youtube where the longer Tacos de Alambre video has tips and tricks for you!
- Get your chicken taco ingredients together.
2. Marinate the chicken.
3. Cook the bacon until the sides have browned, and it has rendered fat.
4. Add the chicken to the pan and cook. When it is done, remove from the pan and set aside.
5. Meanwhile, chop onions and peppers.
6. Add the peppers and onions to the pan and cook until softened.
7. Add the chicken and bacon back to the pan and mix well.
8. Smother the whole thing with cheese, place a lid on the pan, and let the cheese melt.
Looking for a great low carb salsa to add to your tacos? Check out my Air Fried Tomatillo Salsa! It’s a spicy, authentic and easy to make tomatillo salsa.
And if you’re looking for a great side dish, check out my Mexican Corn Eloté. Make sweet and savory Mexican street corn at home in your air fryer!
Looking for even more Mexican recipes? Whether you’re trying to do low-carb, or just want a flavorful fajita recipe, you need to try this Roasted Vegetable Chicken Fajitas recipe! It’s simple and delicious!
Another great Mexican dish is my Instant Pot Mexican Ground Beef Casserole With Rice And Beans. It’s a super family-friendly meal that you’re going to love!
If you are anything like me and love your Mexican food, I guarantee that this Tacos de Alambre will hit the spot. The perk is that you won’t have that leftover uncomfortable feeling in your stomach like most Mexican food causes either. It’s a hit with the family too. You really can’t go wrong with this recipe.
★ Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below! Just click on the stars in the recipe card to rate. Don’t forget to pin this recipe for later!
- 6 Bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 pound chicken tenders, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1.5 teaspoons Salt
- 1.5 teaspoons Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped, chopped
- 2 cups green bell peppers, chopped
- 3-4 JalapeÃ±o Peppers, (optional)
- 1 cup shredded cheese, Mexican blend, Oaxaca or Muenster
- salsa and guacamole for serving
- Heat a 12-inch skillet on high heat. As the skillet heats, chop up the bacon. Add the bacon to the hot pan.
- While the bacon cooks, cut the chicken into bite size pieces, and marinate the chicken. To a large bowl, add the chicken, 1 tablespoon lime juice, salt, ground cumin, and chili powder. Set aside.
- When the bacon is cooked through, about 8 minutes, add the chicken to the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken and bacon to a bowl.
- To the pan, add onions and jalapenos if using. Cook until the onions are translucent, about 2 minutes. Add chopped bell peppers, and ½ teaspoon salt. Cook for 2 minutes until the peppers have softened. Add lemon juice and ¼ cup of water and deglaze the pan thoroughly.
- Add bacon and chicken to the pan, and stir well.
- Sprinkle the cheese on the chicken and vegetables. Turn heat down to medium, cover the pan with a lid, and allow the cheese to melt, about 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, get your salsa, guacamole, and sour cream in small bowls so that you can serve alongside the chicken.