Carne Guisada has always been one of my favorite dishes to order at a Mexican restaurant, so I made my own version for the Instant Pot! It turned out fantastic and tastes absolutely authentic!
Carne Guisada | Instant Pot Mexican Beef Stew Recipe
So I love Carne Guisada when I order it, and in full transparency, while three tasters said it was authentic tasting, of all the Mexican dishes I cooked this week, this one is possibly the plainest in my view. But it also disappeared the fastest, so maybe I’m wrong and you should just ignore me.
What you want here is for the vegetables to melt down into a smooth sauce. I had to use an immersion blender for mine to do that. So what I did was left the meat in larger chunks, cooked it with the vegetables, took the meat out and blended the sauce, put the meat back in and thickened it. That game a relatively smooth sauce, without overcooking the meat. But the next time I made it, I blended the vegetables first, because picking the meat out was a bit of a pain. That worked much better.
If you like Mexican, check out my Instant Pot Mexican Pulled Pork recipe! You can use it to make tacos, burritos or even casseroles.
And if you’re looking for a great Mexican side dish, check out my Mexican Corn Eloté! It’s sweet, savory and you’ll want to eat up every bit of it!
So the next time you’re looking to mix it up on Mexican night, give my Carne Guisada recipe a try! It’s deliciously savory, comforting, and it’s sure to be a hit at the dinner table.
So here are the steps for Carne Guisada:
- Blend the vegetables
- Add the meat & and pressure cook
- Thicken with a little cornflour and serve
★ Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below! Just click on the stars in the recipe card to rate.
- 1 pound Beef Stew Meat chopped into large pieces
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 Tomatoes chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic chopped
- 1 tablespoon Ground Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoons Dried Oregano
- 1-2 teaspoons Salt
- 1 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Ancho Chile Powder
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon corn flour
- Blend together everything but the beef, water, and corn flour.
- Place beef cubes into your Instant Pot and cover with the blended veggies.
- Use the 3/4 cup water to wash out the blender and pour that into your pot.
- Cook at High Pressure for 20 minutes, and release pressure quickly
- Turn your pot on to Sauté and get the stew on a full boil. If you have a lot of liquid, boil for 5-10 minutes to reduce the liquid.
- Make a cornstarch slurry (mix the corn flour with some water), and pour it into the boiling stew and stir until it thickens.