This recipe for a Pressure Cooker Low Carb Szechuan Pork Soup is a family favorite. In fact, everyone I have ever made it for has loved it. Moreover, I've had people who are familiar with Szechuan cooking make it and report back that they thought it was delicious.
Pressure Cooker Low Carb Szechuan Pork Soup
I love Sichuan food, but living where I do, I have to drive for 45 mins each way to get decent Szechuan cuisine so I'm trying to make a few dishes at home instead.
Traditionally this Szechuan Pork Soup has pork that is slow cooked, and once it is cooked, you add noodles into the rich flavorful broth. But of course, there's no way to do that and stay low-carb.
So I made the meat and the broth and then added bok choy to add substance to it. I also cooked this in an Instant Pot because I really didn't have two hours to spend on making this right.
It turned out pretty well, we think. It is definitely spicy but also flavorful. It also requires you to have dobanjiang which you may not have lying around. It's a very distinctively-smelling paste pictured in the red bag below.
If you don't have sichuan peppercorns and don't want to get any, just use extra black pepper. I used so little in this soup, they didn't impart their regular tingle.
Made a very nice change to our routine, because it really doesn't taste like what I make everyday. I'd love to hear from you if you make this, or if you have a different way of making this soup.
EQUIPMENT & INGREDIENTS YOU MAY NEED TO MAKE PRESSURE COOKER LOW CARB SZECHUAN PORK SOUP
- Instant Pot Mini Duo or Instant Pot 6 quart or Instant Pot 8 Quart
- Measuring cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Cutting Board (my fav one)
- Good set of Kitchen knives
- Chinese Black Vinegar
- Szechuan Peppercorns
THE STEPS TO MAKING PRESSURE COOKER LOW CARB SZECHUAN PORK SOUP ARE:
- Pour all ingredients except bok choy and cilantro into your pressure cooker
- 20mins HP, 10 mins NPR
- Add bok choy and cilantro, close lid and let bok choy steam
Want More Pork Recipes?
- Pulled Pork- loaded with delicious Mexican flavor.
- Pork Carnitas- Make these in your Instant Pot.
- Instant Pot Pulled Pork- tacos seasoned with Indian spices.
- Smoked Mexican Pork Shoulder- lovely smoked flavors.
- Pressure Cooker Carne Adovada- a low carb delight.
- Schezuan Pork Soup- Sichuan cuisine made at home.
- Chile Verde- a quick and easy pork recipe.
- Instant Pot Pork Stew- a hearty low carb soup.
- 2 tablespoons (2 tablespoons) Soy Sauce
- 2 tablespoons (2 tablespoons) Chinese Black Vinegar
- 1-2 teaspoons (1 teaspoons) Sugar Or Other Sweetener Equivalent
- 2 teaspoons (2 teaspoons) Szechuan peppers, , roughly crushed
- 1-2 teaspoons (1 teaspoons) Kosher Salt, to taste
- 6 cloves (6 cloves) Garlic, minced
- 3 inch (3 inch) Minced Ginger, minced
- 1/2 (0.5 ) Onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons (2 tablespoons) peanut oil, , or other cooking oil
- 1 pound (453.59 g) Boneless Pork Shoulder, cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons (2 tablespoons) doban jiang paste, (Chinese fermented broad bean paste)
- 3 cups (750 g) Water
- 3-4 cup (210 g) bok choy, , chopped
- 1/4 cup (4 g) Cilantro
- Heat oil in Instant Pot and when hot, add ginger and garlic and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add all the other ingredients except bok choy and cilantro in the pressure cooker and stir well.
- Set the cooker to high pressure for 20 minutes. Allow it to release pressure naturally for 10 minutes and then release remaining pressure.
- Open the pot and add in bok choy Close the lid and let it rest for 10 minutes. The bok choy will cook in residual heat and the cilantro will add flavor but won't be completely smushed.
- Garnish with cilantro, serve and enjoy!