Every Punjabi household has their own version of Rajma, and nothing says comfort food like Rajma Chawal or Red Kidney Beans with Rice. It’s what you cook on a day you’re tired, couldn’t be bothered to cook too much, and are pretty much out of ideas anyway.
This dish is made considerably easier if you already have the Onion Masala at hand but I’ve written this recipe in a way that you don’t have to have it. We’re going to make the masala and the beans simultaneously by using Pot-In-Pot cooking, as we did when we did the PIP Chana and Rice cooking.
Serve this with some homemade Greek yogurt, or a
The Recipe Steps for the Instant Pot Rajma Red Kidney Beans are:
- Place the vegetable mixture in the bottom of your Instant Pot (you could double this to have masala for later as it freezes well, and can also be stored in the fridge for a week)
- On a trivet, place the kidney beans with some water
- Cook on BEAN setting for 30 minutes, 10 mins NPR, and then mix the onion masala and the beans
★ Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below! Just click on the stars in the recipe card to rate. Tag me with #TrustUrvashi if you post and I will share your post.
For the Onion Masala
For the Kidney Beans
- 1 cup Dried Red Kidney Beans soaked in hot water for an hour
- 2 cups water (to cook the beans)
- Place all ingredients for the onion masala into the inner liner of the Instant Pot.
- Place a trivet on top of this masala.
- In a heat-safe bowl, place the red kidney beans and 2 cups of water. Cover the bowl with foil.
- Place the covered bowl on top of the trivet. Seal the Instant Pot.
- Press the BEAN button to cook for 30 minutes and let it naturally release pressure for 10 minutes.
- Open the Instant Pot and remove the red kidney beans and the trivet. Slightly mash about half the rajma with the back of your spoon.
- Turn the pot onto SAUTÉ (high). Pour the rajma and any remaining water in with the onion masala and mix well. Let the contents come to a boil to meld all the flavors well.
- Serve with rice.