This pressure cooker recipe for Chinese Sticky Rice with Sausage recreates the classic dim sim Lo Mai Gai in one step, using your Instant Pot.
I definitely made some simplifications. I didn’t use lotus leaves because they’re not that easy to get a hold of, and I wanted a dish we could all make on a weeknight. Also, somehow I am always out of chicken when I start craving this dish.
The one thing that does require a little planning, is buying the Chinese sausage or Lap Xuong or Lap Cheong ahead of time. I debated whether I should try this with widely-available sausage, but really, there is nothing like that Chinese Sausage, no real equivalent.
So I decided to stick with that one speciality ingredient as it is well-worth it.
Lap Xuong is a pork sausage where the pork has been marinated and then smoked. The end result is a slightly sweet and salty sausage that adds a lot of flavor to this very simple dish.
Other than that however, the only thing that I had to ensure that I had were dried Shitake mushrooms, and really you could use fresh ones, or you could use a different dried mushroom.
The first time I made this, I used porcini mushrooms. ENTIRELY not Chinese, but I can’t say that I thought it was a problem–to be honest, it tasted quite good to me.
If you do end up buying dried mushrooms, I have several recipes where they might come in handy, such as the Pressure Cooker Low Carb Hot and Sour Soup or in the Shrimp Risotto. If you have other uses for them, do leave a comment so people can use other ideas.
I hate recommending an ingredient for just one recipe–it’s far too expensive to cook like that, so I’m always careful to not create just one recipe with one ingredient.
Which brings me to a small list of other ways you can use the Chinese Sausage, or Lap Xuong once you have it. It keeps forever when kept in it’s vacuum packed bag, so you can hang on to it for a bit. But here are some other uses for it:
OTHER USES FOR LAP XUONG:
- Fried Rice
- Omelettes (The sausages are precooked so you’re just really heating them through)
- In spring rolls
- In a vegetable stir-fry
- With Chinese broccoli, in a light broth, over rice
EQUIPMENT & INGREDIENTS YOU MAY NEED TO MAKE PRESSURE COOKER CHINESE STICKY RICE WITH SAUSAGE:
- Instant Pot Mini Duo or Instant Pot 6 quart or Instant Pot 8 Quart
- Measuring cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Cutting Board (my fav one)
- Good set of Kitchen knives
This pressure cooker recipe for Chinese Sticky Rice with Sausage recreates the a simpler version of the dim sum favorite Lo Mai Gai in one step, using your Instant Pot. So nice to be able to make this at home for a weeknight supper!
Soak the dried mushrooms in hot water and let them sit there while you get your other ingredients ready.
In the inner liner of your pressure cooker or instant pot, add in all the other ingredients. Add in mushrooms and stir.
Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes, and then allow it to release pressure naturally for 10 minutes. Then release all remaining pressure.
Open the pressure cooker, stir to mix well and allow all water to absorb, and serve.
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating above! Just click on the stars in the recipe card to rate.
NUTRITIONAL INFO DOES NOT INCLUDE CHINESE SAUSAGE. I am unable to find reliable information for it, my apologies.
Other Delicious and traditional additions include:
- While cooking
- Dried shrimp
- Chicken marinated in soy sauce, oyster sauce, rice wine, salt and pepper
- After cooking
- Omelette cut into strips
- Salted egg yolks
- Love this recipe? Check out Traditional Indian Dishes made easy and fast with my new cookbook!
- This Instant Pot cookbook contains:
- 50 Quick and Easy Recipes requiring minimal ingredients and 60 minutes or less of prep and cook time
- Prep Advice for stocking your kitchen with the best tools and spices
- Instant Pot Guide making the most of your Instant Pot for delicious Indian dishes
- Handy Tips substituting ingredients for variations on your favorite recipes
- This Instant Pot cookbook contains:
- Order your copy today!
- Ready to upgrade your Instant Pot with must have accessories? Check them out here!
- You’ll also love these top 20 gadgets for foodies that will complement any kitchen!