Make this delicious Instant Pot Bo Kho recipe for a hearty and fragrant soup! Cook all the ingredients for this Vietnamese beef stew all at once for a simple and hearty meal.
What makes this Bo Kho So Good?
This easy one-pot recipe is a low-carb spicy beef stew that is a hearty, fragrant soup made of beef, turnips, star anise, 5-spice powder, and curry powder. My whole house smelled amazing as this cooked!
What makes my Bo Kho recipe different from the other pressure cooker recipes out there is that, not only is it a one-step recipe where the beef and the vegetables cook at the same time, but I also made it low carb. I also used pot-in-pot cooking to slow down the cooking of the vegetables.
How To Make This Spicy Beef Stew
- Add stew ingredients. In the inner liner of your Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker, place all ingredients for the stew.
- Add veggies. In a smaller, heatproof container, place the carrots, turnip, and water. Place a steamer rack on top of the meat and spices. Place the vegetable pot on top of the steamer rack.
- Cook. Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. Let's release pressure naturally for 10 minutes, and then release the remaining pressure.
- Stir and serve. Remove vegetables and cut smaller if desired, and add back into the stew.
What's In Bo Kho?
A traditional Bo Kho recipe is made with beef, some vegetables, tomato paste, lemongrass, star anise, ginger, garlic, and some delightful Vietnamese spices.
Traditionally the recipe calls for potatoes and carrots, but I substituted turnips instead of potatoes and it actually tasted really good! This made this Vietnamese beef stew keto-friendly without compromising on flavor.
Is There Really Curry Powder In A Twosleevers Recipe?
But before we go too far, Curry Powder? Since when do I use Curry Powder? Now you guys know I never use curry powder in my Indian curries.
But Vietnamese Bo Kho asks for curry powder, so I figured this was as good a recipe as any to give it a try.
There are so many different aromatics in this Bo Kho, that it's hard to know what adds the most flavor. Honestly, it doesn't matter whether it was the onions, ginger, garlic, 5-Spice powder, star anise, curry powder, or something else--because really I think it was all of it working together.
Have Left Over Stew Meat? Make These Recipes!
- Dutch Oven Beef Stew Indian Style - Put a little Indian twist on dinner tonight.
- Instant Pot Beef Stew - So delicious and comes together so quickly.
- Easy Beef Daube Recipe - An elegant yet familiar dish that is oh so delicious.
- Instant Pot Keto Beef Stroganoff - This recipe might be the best beef stroganoff you've ever had!
- Instant Pot Caldo De Res-Real Mexican beef soup flavor in less than an hour.
- Instant Pot Indian Beef Curry - Tender, delicious and makes an awesome meal.
Trust me, you're going to fall in love with this Bo Kho recipe. Make sure to share this recipe with your friends on Pinterest and Facebook so they can enjoy it as well!
Bo Kho | Instant Pot Bo Kho Recipe
- Instant Pot
- 6 x 3 Inch Round Pan
In the Inner Liner of the Pressure cooker:
- 1 Onion
- 1 pound Beef Stew Meat
- 2 tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 2 whole star anise
- 1 tablespoon lemongrass paste
- 1 tablespoon Minced Ginger
- 1 tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 1.5 cups Water
- .5 cups Coconut Water
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese 5 spice powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Curry Powder
In a smaller pot inside the inner liner:
- 1 Turnip chopped into quarters
- 2 Carrots chopped into large thick chunks
- 1/4 cup Water
- In the inner liner of your Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker, place all ingredients for the stew.
- In a smaller, heatproof container, place the carrots, turnip, and water.
- Place a steamer rack on top of the meat and spices.
- Place the vegetable pot on top of the steamer rack.
- Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. Let is release pressure naturally for 10 minutes, and then release remaining pressure.
- Remove vegetables and cut smaller if desired, and add back into the stew.
Originally published July 2017