One-Step Instant Pot Low Carb Vietnamese Bo Kho Stew recipe for a hearty and fragrant soup!
This is a recipe for Instant Pot Low carb Vietnamese Bo Kho stew. This easy one-step recipe is a low carb bo kho that is a hearty, fragrant soup made of beef, turnips, star anise, 5-spice powder, and curry powder. My whole house smelled amazing as this cooked!
What makes my Instant pot Vietnamese Bo Kho different from the other pressure cooker recipes out there is that not only is it a one-step recipe where the beef and the vegetables cook at the same time, but I also made it low carb.
Traditionally the recipe calls for potatoes and carrots, but I substituted turnips instead of potatoes and it actually tasted really good. Additionally, I used PIP cooking to slow down the cooking of the vegetables, which allowed me to cook the beef and the vegetables at the same time.
But before we go too far, Curry Powder?? Since when do I use Curry Powder? Now you guys know I never use curry powder in my Indian curries. But The Spice House offered to send me a few spices so that I could try them out. I was very reluctant to try the curry powder, but Vietnamese Bo Kho asks for curry powder, so I figured this was as good a recipes any other to try it. I opened the package and smelled it, and I will say, it was extremely fragrant and quite complex. I was quite impressed. So I decided to try it with Bo Kho.
There are so many different aromatics in this Bo Kho, it’s hard to know what adds the most flavor, but honestly it doesn’t matter whether it was the onions, ginger, garlic, 5-Spice powder, the star anise, the curry powder or something else–because really I think it was all of it.
The Recipe steps for this Pressure Cooker Low Carb Vietnamese Bo Kho are:
- Add all ingredients for the stew in the pot
- Cook vegetables pot in pot to slow down the cooking an preventing them from overcooking
- Mix vegetables and stew and serve
Equipment & Ingredients You May Need to Make Instant Pot Low Carb Vietnamese Bo Kho
? Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below! Just click on the stars in the recipe card to rate.
In the Inner Liner of the Pressure cooker:
In a smaller pot inside the inner liner:
- 1 Turnip chopped into quarters
- 2 Carrots chopped into large thick chunks
- 1/4 cup Water
- In the inner liner of your instant pot or electric pressure cooker, place all ingredients for the stew.
- In a smaller, heatproof container, place the carrots, turnip, and water.
- Place a steamer rack on top of the meat and spices.
- Place the vegetable pot on top of the steamer rack.
- Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. Let is release pressure naturally for 10 minutes, and then release remaining pressure.
- Remove vegetables and cut smaller if desired, and add back into the stew.