This Beef Daube, or French-style beef stew, is an elegant yet familiar dish that is oh so delicious! Make it quickly and easily in your Instant Pot or pressure cooker!
What Makes This Beef Daube Recipe So Good
If you’re looking for a dish that can wow your friends and family but doesn’t take a ton of effort, you’ve come to the right place. This Beef Daube recipe is a deliciously savory, warm and comforting dish that’s sure to please everyone in your family.
It has the delightful familiarity that you would expect from a beef stew along with the herby deliciousness you’d expect from a French dish. It’s a filling dish that satisfies your hunger yet leaves you wanting more.
The best part of it all? It’s so easy to make. With little to no prep time and a short cook time, you’ll be enjoying this delicious French beef stew before you know it! This is one of those recipes that makes me love my Instant Pot even more, which is saying something considering how much I already love it.
Watch A Video On How To Make Beef Daube In Your Instant Pot
What Is The Difference Between Beef Daube And Boeuf Bourguignon?
Beef Bourguignon is a French beef stew that typically uses higher grade beef than that of a Daube. It also traditionally uses a burgundy wine and is cooked faster than a Daube.
Daube typically uses tougher beef, as the longer cooking time allows the meat to become tender. It is traditionally cooked in a daubiÃ¨re, which is a terracotta pot, and is where it gets its namesake.
Thanks to our wonderful Instant Pot, we can get the same tender and delicious beef in a fraction of the time! This makes for a beef daube that doesn’t take hours to make, and you know how much I love shorter cooking times!
How To Make Beef Daube
1. Set the Instant Pot to saute and the garlic, onions and tomato paste and heat until tomato paste is roasted.
2. Once the tomato paste is roasted, add the tomatoes and use the liquid from them to deglaze the pan.
3. Then add the beef, salt, pepper, and Herbes de Provence and mix well.
4. Add the potatoes, water, carrots, and mushroom, place the lid on the instant pot and set the pot to high pressure for 10 minutes.
5. Once the cooking time is done, allow the pot to natural pressure release for 10 minutes before releasing the rest of the pressure.
6. Set the pot to saute. Mix the tablespoon of cornstarch and water to create a slurry and add it to the pot.
7. Stir the pot and allow it to come to a boil in order the thicken the stew.
8. Serve and enjoy!
Tips And Tricks For Making Beef Daube
- You can add wine at the end if you’d like. Traditionally people used wine in cooking not just for flavoring, but because it reduces the temperature of water boiling. In a pressure cooker, this happens automatically. Therefore you do not need the wine to allow the meat to cook at a simmer. You might, however, choose to add it for flavor. I recommend adding the wine at the end as it is not needed during the cooking cycle.
- You can do this with lamb as well. Use leg of lamb chopped into cubes.
- Similarly, you can use a chuck roast and cut into cubes.
- You can also make this in a slow cooker with exactly the same proportions of everything. You may need to add a little water at the end. This will likely take 7-8 hours on low and 4-5 hours on high.
- You can also cook this in a Dutch Oven at 350F for 2-3 hours until the meat is done.
Looking For More French Recipes? Check These Out!
- I love a good low carb chicken recipe, and this French Garlic Chicken is TO DIE FOR! It’s super simple and absolutely delicious!
- This Shrimp and Asparagus Gribiche is a delicious meal with shrimp, fresh asparagus topped with a gribiche sauce. It’s quick, easy and keto!
- This simple but very yummy Instant Pot Cherry Clafoutis uses frozen, defrosted cherries so that you can enjoy it any time of year.
My Pressure Cooker Beef Stew is another fantastic stew recipe. It’s so delicious and comes together so quickly, that it would make a great weeknight dinner!
This Beef Daube is the perfect stew dish for a cold fall or winter meal, and it’s sure to become one of your favorite beef stew recipes! Make sure to share this recipe on Pinterest and Facebook so your friends and family can enjoy it too!
★ Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below! Just click on the stars in the recipe card to rate. Tag me with #TrustUrvashi if you post and I will share your post.
- 1 pound Beef Stew Meat
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups baby potatoes halved for big ones, left whole if small (see recipe pic)
- 2 Carrots large, chopped (or 1 cup baby carrots)
- 1.5 cups mushrooms small button mushrooms or larger mushrooms halved
- 1 cup diced tomatoes canned
- 1 teaspoon Herbes de Provence
- 1-2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1.5 cups water
To Thicken At The End
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoons water
- Set the Instant Pot to saute and the garlic, onions and tomato paste and heat until tomato paste is roasted.
- Once the tomato paste is roasted, add the tomatoes and use the liquid from them to deglaze the pan.
- Then add the beef, salt, pepper, and Herbes de Provence and mix well.
- Add the potatoes, water, carrots, and mushroom, place the lid on the instant pot and set the pot to high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Once the cooking time is done, allow the pot to natural pressure release for 10 minutes before releasing the rest of the pressure.
- Set the pot to saute. Mix the tablespoon of cornstarch and water to create a slurry and add it to the pot.
- Stir the pot and allow it to come to a boil in order the thicken the stew.
- Serve and enjoy!