This Vegetarian Tortilla soup is an easy pour and cook recipe made in your Instant Pot. Rich broth flavored with an array of vegetables is the perfect choice for your next Meatless Monday.
Why You're Going To Love This Soup
- Easy. A simple pour and cook recipe.
- Vegetarian. A great option for your next Meatless Monday or a filling meal if you're living a vegetarian lifestyle.
- Quick. Flavors that are highly developed in a fraction of the time with the hlep of your Instant Pot.
- Versatile. Easily switch up the ingredients and toppings to make your perfect bowl of soup.
This soup is made in quite the same fashion as the chicken tortilla soup recipe. One thing to be aware of is that cooking the beans within the same broth does cause the broth to darken. It still tastes amazing, but if you want a redder broth, you may need to cook the black beans separately. Me, I don't care what it looks like. I want it to be authentic, and easy. This is easy.
There’s really only one manual step, but this one is an important one. It’s essential to sauté the vegetables until they thicken. This will take at most 10 minutes but will add a world of flavor to your soup.
So whether you're looking for a vegetarian soup dish or just a delicious dish in general, you're sure to enjoy this Vegetarian Tortilla Soup. It's a quick and easy Instant Pot recipe that's both flavorful and healthy!
Ingredients You'll Need
- Tomatoes- Gives the traditional red colored broth that you expect in a tortilla soup
- Chipotle chili in adobe sauce- Just one tablespoon from the can, no peppers.
- Jalapeño Peppers
- Chopped Cilantro- if you don't have cilantro on hand, you can also use parsley.
- Kosher Salt
- Dried black beans- these will need to be soaked for one hour in hot water before you prepare your soup.
- Water- mixed with all of the other flavorful ingredients, this becomes the broth of the soup.
- Corn tortillas- these are optional in this recipe. They are used to thicken the broth a little bit, but it is just as tasty without them.
- Frozen Corn Kernels- I prefer frozen because they maintain their texture better after being cooked under pressure.
How To Make Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
- Blend together onion, tomatoes, garlic, chipotle chili, jalapeno, salt, and cilantro.
- Turn your Instant Pot on to Sauté and add the oil.
- Once the oil is hot, pour in the blended vegetables and stir. Keep stirring for 10 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Add water. If you're using the corn tortillas to thicken, add them.
- Add in beans and set your Instant Pot to manual. Let it release pressure naturally when finished.
- Add in frozen corn and stir to let it heat through.
- Serve, garnish, and enjoy!
What To Serve With It
This soup is absolutely packed with flavor and delicious without any help. If you're like me, you like adding layers of flavor to customize this into your perfect bowl of soup.
Here are some of my favorite things to garnish with:
- Sour Cream
- Tortilla Chips
The possibilities are endless. Pick your favorite taco toppings and play around with flavors and textures to keep your tastebuds guessing with each bite.
How Long Does It Last?
This recipe is one that is great for doubling or tripling because of how great it is for leftovers, and how long it lasts. Because of the ingredients in this soup, it stays just as delicious as the day you made it for up to 5-7 days stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
More Delicious Soups
If you love this Vegetarian Tortilla Soup as much as we do, make sure you share the recipe with your friends and family on Facebook and Instagram and Pin it so you can make it again soon.
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below! Just click on the stars in the recipe card to rate. Don't forget to pin this recipe for later!
- 1/2 cup (80 g) Onion, roughly chopped
- 1 cup (149 g) Tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cloves (2 cloves) Garlic
- 1 (1 ) chipotle chili in adobe sauce from can with 1 teaspoon sauce
- 1/2 (0.5 ) Jalapeño Peppers
- 1/4 cup (4 g) Chopped Cilantro or Parsley
- 1-2 teaspoons (1 teaspoons) Kosher Salt
- 1 tablespoon (1 tablespoon) Oil
- 1 cup (172 g) dried black beans,, soaked for one hour in hot water
- 4 cups (1 kg) Water
- 2 (2 ) corn tortillas, , cut into small pieces (optional)
- 1 cup (164 g) Frozen Corn Kernels
- In a blender, blend together onion, tomatoes, garlic, chipotle chili, jalapeno, salt, and cilantro.
- Turn your electric Instant Pot on to Sauté, for 12 minutes, and when it is hot, add the oil.
- Once the oil starts shimmering, pour in the blended vegetables and stir well. Keep stirring on and off for 10 minutes until the sauce is relatively thickened.
- Add in 4 cups of water, and if you're using the corn tortillas to thicken, add them now.
- Add in the soaked beans, set your Instant Pot to manual, High pressure 25 minutes and let it release pressure naturally when finished.
- Add in frozen corn and stir to let it heat through, and serve with cheese, slices of avocado, corn tortilla strips or other garnishes.