Here’s a quick low carb keto recipe for an Asparagus Cheese Frittata for a fast breakfast or lunch. Asparagus, cheese, and cream combine to make a creamy and tasty keto frittata that comes together with little effort.
Asparagus Cheese Frittata
What I love about Frittata’s, apart from the taste, of course, is that they are as appropriate for lunch or dinner as they are for breakfast. I also love how versatile frittatas are, since you can pretty much add whatever you have in the fridge to be able to make them.
This Asparagus cheese frittata is a little fussier than my normal cooking since it requires you to steam the asparagus separately, but I’ve tried using raw asparagus and it just really doesn’t cook up well enough.
I suppose one could try canned asparagus, but I haven’t done that. It takes so little effort to get steam the asparagus for a few minutes that I haven’t bothered with changing this around.
WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A FRITTATA, A QUICHE, AND AN OMELET?
I think a lot of this is subjective but here are some widely accepted differences.
- A quiche has a crust, while frittatas and omelets don’t
- A frittata is first cooked on the stovetop and then finished in the oven, unlike an omelet that’s made only on the stovetop
- Omelets typically have ingredients folded in, often just into the middle after the eggs are almost set. With quiches and frittatas, the ingredients are cooked into to the dish
- Frittatas often involve precooking the ingredients slightly
CHECK OUT THESE OTHER KETO FRITTATA RECIPES
- Poblano cheese Frittata which is very popular on my site and is made in a pressure cooker.
- Savory Sausage and Veggie Frittata
- A very pretty Ham, Broccoli and pepper bake
EQUIPMENT YOU MAY NEED TO MAKE THIS ASPARAGUS CHEESE FRITTATA:
- Gowise Air Fryer or Philips Avance XL or Breville Smart Oven Air or just your oven.
- AIr Fryer accessory set or 7-inch pan
- Flat silicone whisk that does a great job of mixing but also sits flat in your drawer
- Tongs to move stuff around. I use either these big silicone tongs or this set of Smaller Tongs which are easier on my hands or Silicone mitts
- Measuring cups
- My favorite cutting board
- Good set of knives
★ Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below! Just click on the stars in the recipe card to rate.
Here's a quick low carb keto frittata that uses Asparagus and Swiss cheese for a fast breakfast or lunch. Asparagus, swiss cheese and cream combine to make a creamy and tasty keto frittata that comes together with very little effort.
- 1/2 pound asparagus ends trimmed off, cut into 2-3 pieces each
- 1/2 cup green onions chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup Swiss cheese,
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
Place asparagus in a microwave-safe bowl, add 2 tablespoons of water and cover. Steam for 1-2 minutes until tender crisp.
In a medium bowl whisk eggs, grated cheese, milk, salt, and pepper and set aside.
Meanwhile, melt butter in a 10-inch oven safe skillet over medium heat.
Stir in green onions, and saute for a minute.
Add steamed asparagus, salt, and pepper.
Add eggs to the skillet making sure eggs cover the vegetables.
Place the skillet in the oven and cook for about 15-20 minutes until the frittata is cooked through.
Cut into four wedges and serve.
I am not a registered dietician or nutritionist. Nutritional information is provided a courtesy, and can vary depending on the exact ingredients you use.