This Instant Pot Horchata recipe is as delicious as the original with less sugar! And with a little help from your Instant Pot, it's super quick to make!
Make Makes This Quick Horchata Recipe So Great
- Fast. Make a homemade horchata recipe in under 30 minutes with the help of your Instant Pot.
- Easy. It’s as simple as adding all of the ingredients to your Instant Pot and cooking under pressure.
- Delicious. Absolutely packed with sweet cinnamon sugar flavor.
- Dietary-friendly. Not only is it delicious, but it is also Vegan, Vegetarian, and Dairy-free.
I love horchata but I can't drink the one you get in restaurants because of all the sugar. The mixes are fabulous, but once again, too sugary.
I tried making my own with raw rice, and honestly, while it turned out very tasty, it was not something I could see myself doing very often. It requires planning if you're going to do it right.
Soak the rice for hours. Blend, and then let it sit for hours and then strain. I mean, worth it for a special occasion, but not something for every day. That's why I came up with this fantastically simple Instant Horchata recipe!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Unsweetened Rice Milk- Make sure you’re using unsweetened rice milk, or it will be overly sweet with the addition of sugar.
- Sugar Or Other Sweetener Equivalent- You can use whatever sweetener you prefer. I used Truvia sugar substitute to keep the carbs lower.
- Cinnamon- Use cinnamon sticks that are broken into smaller chunks to infuse the rice milk.
How To Make Horchata In Your Instant Pot
- Cook. Combine all ingredients (rice milk, sweetener, and cinnamon) in your Instant Pot, and pressure cook at High Pressure for 4 minutes.
- Serve. Allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, release remaining pressure and your drink is ready to serve over ice, or even better, chill it so you're not diluting it further.
I gave it some thought and realized I was overdoing this. What are we trying to do? Essentially we're trying to make rice milk. Guess what? You can BUY rice milk. Already made. I wondered if it would work as well? All I'd have to do is add cinnamon and infuse the cinnamon into it.
I know how to infuse flavors quickly--you use an Instant Pot. Once I started making my iced tea in an Instant Pot, I know I'll never make it any other way. So I used the same principle of tea making to instant horchata making.
The end result has no added sugar because I used a sweetener. It's a little thinner than store-bought horchata, I suspect because of no real sugar or perhaps flour fillers? I'm not really sure. It's thinner but it tastes good. So unless it's a special occasion, I think this is how I'll be making it.
How Long Does It Last?
This Horchata recipe is the perfect sweet treat. I love to keep some in the refrigerator to enjoy when I’m craving something sweet but I don’t feel like cooking. Since it lasts up to a week when stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, it’s easy to keep on hand.
More Instant Pot Drink Recipes
- Indian Lassi Recipe - A delicious traditional Indian beverage that you're sure to love as much as Instant Horchata!
- Mulled Apple Cider - A delicious cider you can make in just 30 minutes.
- Masala Chai - An authentic Chai recipe you can make in your Instant Pot.
- Instant Pot Iced Tea - a super easy, hands-off method that makes the smoothest tea you've ever had.
- Hibiscus Tea - A perfect drink for Summer!
- Lemongrass Tea - A cold, refreshing drink for the summer.
This Instant Pot Horchata recipe is so simple to make that you'll never want to drink store-bought again. Make sure to share this recipe with your friends on Pinterest and Facebook so they can enjoy it as well!
- 32 ounces (907.19 g) Unsweetened Rice Milk
- 6 tablespoons (6 tablespoons) Sugar Or Other Sweetener Equivalent, or sweetener of choice (I used Truvia sugar substitute)
- 1 stick (1 stick) Cinnamon, broken into smaller chunks
- Combine all ingredients, and pressure cook at High Pressure for 4 minutes.
- Allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, release remaining pressure and your drink is ready to serve over ice, or even better, chill it so you're not diluting it further.
Get support & connect with our community on Facebook!
Don't forget to check out my other Best-selling Instant Pot Cookbooks!
Indian Instant Pot, Keto Instant Pot, Instant Pot Fast and Easy, Healthy Instant Pot & Vegetarian Instant Pot.
I have not made horchata but the other day I reheated chicken soup with rice in the IP and it can out thick and creamy. Would the horchata get thicker if you added a couple tablespoons of basmati rice and put it on manual for 8-10 minutes. And then used a immersion blender to make it creamy?
Horchata is usually fairly thin and doesn’t use cooked rice as a rule.
Horchata is usually either a nut-based or legume-based drink. Yours is simply using rice, which may be why it is coming out thinner.
Traditional horchata is rice-based.
What a great recipe! I have always loved Mexican horchata but am usually disappointed by the mixes. This is perfect, very little work and it tastes authentic. Now I don't have to wait till I go to mexico. Looking forward to trying your Jamaica drink as well. Just need to find the dried Hibiscus flowers.