Low Carb Soup | Instant Pot Sausage Kale Soup
This Low Carb Sausage Kale Soup is loaded with protein and flavor and is one of my favorite things to make. It’s sort of like having the best part of a spaghetti sauce but in a soup.
This Low Carb sausage kale soup is one of the heartiest soups you will ever make and you will love how meaty and delicious this is. It’s super easy to make because you don’t have to cook the sausage in advance, or dirty several different pots.
One of the reasons I love my Instant Pot, is the fact that it makes it so simple to make one-pot meals. I take advantage of this so often that my pots and pans feel neglected most of the time.
It’s a straightforward one-pot meals where you just pour in ingredients and cook all in one go.
When I’m eating low carb, especially if I’m trying to get back in the Keto saddle, I eat soups like this a lot. They’re very filling, they don’t feel like a diet food, and since there’s such a large amount of liquid I can eat a lot without consuming a lot of calories.
But of course, it’s not like we need a REASON to eat soup because…Soup! I love soup every which way.
Other ways to enjoy this Sausage Kale Soup
So you notice, it looks a lot like hearty spaghetti sauce, right? If you wanted to, you can definitely use it in place of spaghetti sauce, over noodles for non-keto, or over zoodles for keto.
If you find it too thin for your liking, you can add a cornstarch slurry for non-keto, or 1/4 teaspoon of xanthan gum sprinkled in, to help thicken the soup/sauce. (Spauce?)
INSTANT POT ONE POT MEALS AND SOUP RECIPES
If you want another hearty and flavorful Instant Pot recipe, you should try my White Chicken Korma. It’s delicious, and creamy and so simple to make.
Or you can try my super easy cheater dolma recipe. I call it an Unstuffed Dolma Casserole and you can make it in your Instant Pot. You’ll likely call it delicious.
This Low Carb Sausage Kale Soup isn’t just perfect for cold weather but is perfect year round so I do hope you try it.
? DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? DON’T FORGET TO GIVE IT A STAR RATING BELOW! JUST CLICK ON THE STARS TO RATE.
- 1 pound (453.59 g) bulk hot or mild Italian sausage, hot or medium
- 1/2 cup (160 g) onions, chopped
- 6 (6 ) Garlic Cloves, sliced thinly
- 3 cups (268 g) chopped kale, cut into ribbons stems removed
- 1.5 cups (223.5 g) diced tomatoes, or 14.5 ounce can tomatoes (undrained)
- 1/2 cup (125 g) Water
- 1/4 cup (6 g) chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) Salt
- 1 teaspoon (1 teaspoon) Ground Black Pepper
- 2 tablespoons (2 tablespoons) Tomato Paste
- 1/2 cup (120 g) heavy whipping cream or canned coconut milk
- Basil leaves
- With your Instant Pot on Sauté mode, put olive oil to the pot. Add garlic and onions and stir.
- Add the bulk sausage and break up any large pieces. You’re just trying to break up the sausage, not cook nor brown it.
- Add kale, tomatoes, water, basil, salt and pepper. Stir and immediately close the lid.
- Cook for 5 Minutes high pressure. Allow it to release pressure naturally for 10 mins and then release all remaining pressure.
- Add tomato paste and heavy whipping cream or coconut milk and stir to incorporate. Garnish with fresh basil and serve.
- Serve over shirataki noodles or regular pasta (optional) or just eat as a hearty soup
- To reduce carbs further, reduce the kale which has about 22 gms net carbs in each cup
Get support & connect with our community on Facebook!
Don’t forget to check out my Instant Pot Fast & Easy Cookbook!
This book is full of all kinds of boldly flavored and internationally-themed recipes—Mexican, Thai, Moroccan, and more—with Instant Pot Fast & Easy, fully authorized by Instant Pot. Just like you have come to expect, my recipes will work perfectly every time, and of course taste great too. And because these are Instant Pot recipes, dishes like Japanese Chicken Curry, Chinese Steamed Ribs, and Mexican Pulled Pork are ready in a fraction of the time they would take using traditional cooking methods. As with all of my recipes, the focus is on whole foods instead of artificial convenience ingredients, so the recipes are delicious, easy, and healthful too.