Slow Cooker Safed Chicken Korma or a White Chicken Korma is a rich, creamy, mildly-spiced but very flavorful dish that takes little to no effort to make in your slow cooker. You'll get a traditional Indian korma without the effort that goes into cooking traditional Indian food.
What Makes This Safed Chicken Korma So Good?
- Easy. There's nothing better than a pour and cook recipe in your slow cooker while you go live life.
- Low Carb. Only 6 net carbs per serving.
- Dairy-Free. Using cashews or almonds to make this creamy makes it a Kosher Safed Chicken Korma.
- Flavorful. Full of authentic Indian spices and flavors.
MAKING SLOW COOKER SAFED CHICKEN KORMA | INSTANT POT SLOW COOKER WHITE CHICKEN KORMA
Now I think I know the first question you're going to ask me--can you make chicken korma recipe in the pressure cooker without using a slow cook function?
Well, many BURN messages later, I can tell you that it won't work well. What happens is that the nut paste is relatively thick.
Unless you want a watery korma (and trust me, you do not want a safed chicken korma that's watery), there's no way to make the chicken korma cook well under pressure. The sauce is just too thick.
On the other hand, as simple as it is to make this slow cooker chicken korma, it's really not that big a deal to use the slow cook function.
By the way, Safed means white in Hindi, hence the name Safed Chicken Korma for this dish.
HOW TO USE THE SLOW COOK FUNCTION ON THE INSTANT POT
For those of you who are wondering about the slow cook function on the Instant Pot, just remember this:
- Low on Instant Pot = Keep warm (not to be used to cook)
- Medium on Instant Pot = Low on a regular slow cooker
- High on Instant Pot = High on a regular slow cooker
Now keep in mind this makes a WHITE chicken korma which is very popular in North India. If you want a regular Chicken Korma, here is my very-well loved Indian Instant Pot Chicken Korma recipe that you must try.
Many will tell you they like it even more than they like my famous Butter Chicken recipe--while others consider that statement utter heresy.
I think you should make both recipes--as well as this white chicken korma recipe, and taste test them all yourself
Slow Cooker Safed Korma | White Chicken Korma
So to make this Safed Korma recipe, you're going to basically blend aromatics, nuts, and spices in a blender to make a lovely, fragrant sauce.
You're going to pour that sauce over the chicken in the slow cooker, and then walk away--and come back to a fantastic dinner.
What To Eat With Chicken Korma
If you want a good side dish to this, I'd definitely try the Basmati Pilau recipe to soak up all the lovely sauce. For a vegetable side dish, one option is a hot vegetable like this Eggplant Bharta recipe
If you're looking for a cold salad, I'd try this Indian cabbage slaw recipe.
If you love this Safed Chicken Korma recipe as much as I do, make sure you share it with your friends on Facebook and Pinterest so they can try it too.
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Minced Ginger
- 1 tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 1/2 cup Full-Fat Greek Yogurt, (For Dairy free, use 1/2 cup canned coconut milk)
- 1-2 Serrano peppers
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons Coriander Seeds
- 1/2 cup Cashews or Almonds, or a mix of the two
- 1/4 cup Sesame Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 pound Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs, cut into 3 pieces each
- In a blender jar, blend together the onion, ginger, garlic, yogurt, peppers, cumin and coriander seeds, almonds/cashews, sesame seeds, cardamom, cloves, salt, and pepper, along with the water.
- Pour the sauce into the slow cooker liner. Add another 1/4 cup of water to the blender jar to wash it out and pour that into the sauce as well.
- Place the chicken into the sauce and stir to combine.
- Regular slow cooker: Set the slow cooker to Low for 6 hours or High for 4 hours and serve.Instant Pot: Select the Slow Cook function. Set the Instant pot to Medium for 6 hours or high for 4 hours and serve.
- Use almonds rather than cashews for the macros stated here.
- Use coconut milk rather than yogurt to make this dairy-free