This easy Low Carb Ground Beef Stroganoff combines onions, garlic, mushrooms, and sour cream for an easy, low carb meal. It’s delicious served over buttery zucchini noodles.
Beef Stroganoff Ingredients
The ingredients for beef stroganoff are nearly identical whether you are talking about a traditional or keto recipe. This one contains:
- Ground beef
- Worcestershire sauce
- Dijon mustard
- Sour cream
Many recipes use flour to thicken the sauce. But I’ve found that you can get a nice, thick sauce just by simmering the mixture in a skillet to reduce the liquid and then stirring in sour cream (which thickens it right up).
Traditionally ground beef stroganoff is served over buttery egg noodles, but to keep this dish low in carbs, I simply swap those out for zucchini noodles.
Hamburger Stroganoff: A Great Go-To Keto Meal?
If you’ve got ground beef on hand, this keto beef stroganoff can be on the table in a flash. It is the best kind of comfort food because it is quick to make, uses a short list of common pantry ingredients, and is full of flavor. You get all the comfort food satisfaction without a lot of carbs.
The rich creamy sauce gets wonderful texture and flavor from fresh mushrooms, onions, and garlic. The creaminess comes from sour cream and butter, not canned soup! It’s hearty, meaty and totally satisfying.
I love using hamburger meat for quick keto-friendly meals. It’s easy to keep a few packages of it in the freezer to have on hand any time you need to whip up a meal. That’s why I have so many low carb ground beef recipes on my site.
How To Make Ground Beef Stroganoff
This is one of the easiest meals you can make!
- Saute the vegetables. Cook the onions, garlic, and mushrooms in oil in a skillet on your stovetop.
2. Reserve half of the vegetable mixture. Remove half of the onion-mushroom mixture and reserve for later.
3. Add the beef. Stir in the beef and seasonings, cover, and cook.
4. Finish with the sour cream. Add the sour cream and the reserved onion-mushroom mixture.
5. Serve the meat and sauce over the zucchini noodles.
Tips And Tricks For Making Beef Stroganoff
• Saute all of the onions, garlic, and mushrooms at the beginning, but remove half before adding the ground beef. This creates rich foundational flavors in the dish, and also bright, fresh top notes.
• Steam the zucchini noodles while the beef is cooking.
• Toss the zucchini noodles with a touch of butter to give the noodles flavor and substance.
• Stir in the sour cream only at the very end of cooking to prevent it from curdling or separating.
What To Serve With Low Carb Hamburger Stroganoff
This is a fantastic hamburger stroganoff recipe since it has plenty of protein, fat, and veggies. If you want to change it up, you can serve the beef and sauce over shirataki noodles. Or serve it over cauliflower rice or cauliflower mash instead of the zucchini noodles.
For a change of pace, I sometimes like to serve this beef stroganoff ladled over my savory Zucchini Chaffles!
Want More Keto Hamburger Recipes?
- Keto Big Mac Salad- A favorite for the whole family because of my copycat sauce recipe taste just like the real thing!
- Low Carb Beef Stroganoff- Comfort food and Keto? Yes, it's true!
- Low Carb Beef Shawarma- An easy weeknight dinner option you'll want to make again and again!
- Ethiopian Beef Stew- You won't believe how much flavor is packed into such a simple dish.
- Beef Rendang- Fall apart tender meat in less than an hour!
- Kheema Meatloaf- The perfect solution for the days you're craving Indian food but are short on ingredients.
- Kimchi Beef Stew- An easy pour and cook recipe full of umami flavors.
- Bulgogi Burgers- Put your air fryer to work with this fun twist on burgers!
- Corned Beef and Cabbage- A classic done in a fraction of the time.
- Indian Beef Curry- Done in less than an hour and so good you'll wonder why you haven't made it before!
No matter how you decide to serve this Low Carb Beef Stroganoff, whether it be over zucchini noodles, cauliflower rice or shirataki noodles, you're sure to love each and every bite of this keto-friendly dish. Make sure to share this recipe with your friends on Pinterest and Facebook so they can enjoy it as well!
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1/2 cup Onions, diced
- 1 tablespoon Garlic
- 1 pound Lean Ground Beef
- 1.5 cups Mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2-1 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 cup beef broth, or water
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 large Zucchini
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- Heat a 10 inch sauté pan over medium high heat. To the hot pan, add the oil. When the oil is hot, add onions and garlic and cook until onions are translucent, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook for 1-2 minutes. Remove half of this onion and mushroom mixture and set aside to mix in at the last minute.
- Add ground beef to the remaining vegetables, and break up the lumps. Add Worcestershire sauce, mustard, broth, salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook until the beef and vegetables are cooked through, about 5 minutes
- Meanwhile, using a vegetable peeler, peel the zucchini into long ribbons. Place ribbons in a microwave safe bowl, add 2 tablespoons water. Cover and steam for 2 minutes. Remove and toss with 1 tablespoon butter.
- When the beef is done, remove lid, and turn down the heat to low. Slowly stir in sour cream a little at a time and allow the mixture to gently bubble and thicken. Add back the reserved onion and mushroom mixture and stir in.
- Serve over zucchini ribbons
- Buy ready made zucchini noodles or use shirataki noodles instead.
- Riced cauliflower also makes a wonderful accompaniment to this dish.
- Saute all of the onions, garlic, and mushrooms at the beginning, but remove half before adding the ground beef. This creates rich foundational flavors in the dish, and also bright, fresh top notes.
- Steam the zucchini noodles while the beef is cooking
- Toss the zucchini noodles with a touch of butter to give the noodles flavor and substance.
- Stir in the sour cream only at the very end of cooking to prevent it from curdling or separating.