Use your Instant Pot or pressure cooker to make this amazing recipe for Jamaican Chicken Curry. Spicy, authentic, and finished in just 20 minutes! Leave out the potatoes to make this low carb and keto if you need to.
What is Jamaican Chicken Curry?
Jamaican Chicken Curry is a favorite standby in Jamaican cuisine. It’s a chicken dish that’s cooked low and slow to get all the amazing flavors infused in the chicken and vegetables. Using your Instant Pot you can achieve the same flavor profile and all the rich flavor in less than 30 minutes, making this the ideal way to enjoy Jamaican Chicken Curry.
What’s the difference between Jamaican Curry and Indian Curry?
One of the most notable differences between Indian Curry and Jamaican curry is that Jamaican Curry uses Scotch Bonnet pepper, and a prepared curry powder. As you know, I never use curry powder in Indian Cooking but I use it in this Jamaican Curry, and in Vietnamese Bo Kho and I even use Japanese Curry Paste in this Japanese Curry without thinking twice!
But I don’t use it in Indian cooking. I’m weird like that.
Jamaican curry powder recipes differ but they use some combinations of coriander seeds, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, anise seeds, fenugreek seeds, and allspice berries etc. I buy it readymade and I’ve found Blue Everest Jamaican Curry Powder. Maybe one day I will make my own.
Wait, where are all the fancy ingredients like Worcestershire sauce etc?
Yeah, those didn’t make it. I tried those in the first batch. I tried Worcestershire, tomato paste, coconut milk–and ended up with something super sweet and just weird. So I went back and made it with the simplest of ingredients and it was perfect.
It is especially good with this Jamaican Peas and Rice recipe.
EQUIPMENT YOU MAY NEED TO MAKE THIS INSTANT POT PRESSURE COOKER JAMAICAN CHICKEN CURRY:
- Instant Pot Mini Duo, or Instant pot 6 quarts, or Instant Pot 8 Quarts
- Measuring Cups
- My favorite Cutting Board
- Good set of Kitchen Knives
★ Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below! Just click on the stars in the recipe card to rate.
Use your Instant Pot or pressure cooker to make this amazing recipe for Jamaican Chicken Curry. Spicy, authentic, and finished in just 20 minutes!
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1.5 tablespoons Jamaican Curry Powder
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper sliced
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into 3 pieces each
- 1 large potato cut into 1-inch chunks (omit for keto/low carb)
- 1 cup water
- Heat the Instant Pot on Sauté and once it is hot, add the oil. When the oil is hot, add ginger and garlic, and stir, 20 seconds.
- Add chopped onion and mix well, 1-2 minutes.
Add the Jamaican curry powder, the sliced scotch bonnet pepper, thyme, salt and allspice and mix well. All the heat in this recipe comes from the Scotch bonnet so reduce this if you need it less spicy.
- At this point, if you have any browning or sticking that has occurred, use 1/4-1/3 cup of water to deglaze, scraping well, and allowing the water to evaporate.
Add chicken, potato, and 1 cup of water and set your Instant Pot to cook on high pressure for 6 minutes. If you are NOT using potatoes, reduce water to 1/2 cup.
Allow the pot to sit undisturbed for 10 minutes and then release all remaining pressure. Stir and serve.
- Omitting Potato reduces carbs by 6 gms per serving
I am not a registered dietician or nutritionist. Nutritional information is provided a courtesy, and can vary depending on the exact ingredients you use.