So When I made this Ethiopian Gomen Wat recipe, I steamed frozen collard greens in a foil-wrapped package along with other vegetables. I'll post how to make this simply and easily in the pressure cooker, although of course this can be done stove-top as well.
Instant Pot Ethiopian Gomen Wat
I'm going to post this as a PIP recipe, just the way I made it because I think making it PIP also ensured that the collard greens didn't get water-logged and need a lot of cooking to evaporate the water that pressure cooking invariably leaves. I'm also providing stove top instructions below.
When I made this, I also cooked red lentils for Mesir Wot at the same time and since both things cooked in 5 minutes, that worked out really well. That to me, would be the advantage of doing this in the pressure cooker vs. cooking on the stove, as well as not having to stir or babysit in any way.
So the steps to this recipe are:
- Put frozen collard greens in a bowl or foil packet along with some other aromatics and seasonings
- Steam for 5 minutes in the pressure cooker with the vent sealed
- Finish in a small pan on the stovetop.
LOOKING FOR MORE DELICIOUS ETHIOPIAN RECIPES? CHECK OUT MY ETHIOPIAN CHICKEN STEW RECIPE, ETHIOPIAN BEEF STEW OR MY ETHIOPIAN CABBAGE AND POTATOES!
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below! Just click on the stars in the recipe card to rate. Don't forget to pin this recipe for later!
- Place frozen collard greens and spices on a sheet of foil and make a packet out of it. Alternatively, place these ingredients in a heat proof bowl.
- In the liner of the pressure cooker, place 2 cups of water and a trivet. Place the vegetable packet on top of trivet.
- Steam with the vent closed for 5 mins, and release pressure quickly.
- Heat a saucepan and when hot, add oil.
- Carefully remove the vegetables and place into the hot oil and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add vinegar and toss.
- Serve warm.
- Sauté onions and garlic, and add collard greens and spices.
- Add 1/2 cup of water, cover the pan, and cook the greens until tender and done, about 20 minutes.
- Season with vinegar and taste adjust as needed.
- Serve Warm.
Get support & connect with our community on Facebook!
Want More Instant Pot Recipes?
- Instant Pot Butter Chicken is an easy 30-minute dinner and you can make rice on top of it, as the video shows.
- Pressure Cooker Rice and Dal is a great vegetarian rice dinner.
- This Lebanese Lentil and Rice dish is another great Vegetarian Instant Pot recipe.
- Instant Pot Indian Khichadi is comfort food in a bowl!
- Instant Pot Risotto with Shrimp is another one-pot comfort meal.
- Buffalo chicken casserole for the days you want low carb recipes
- You might also like low carb Chicken Biryani that uses riced cauliflower.
- Chicken and Mushrooms are a great combo.
- My kids love Instant Pot Pork Chops with Rice and Vegetables
- Zucchini Lasagna- You won't even miss the pasta.
- Haluski Recipe - A wonderful cabbage and noodles recipe.