Getting started on a low carb diet and unsure as to what's safe for a snack and what's not? No need to worry as I've put together a list of the Best Low Carb Nuts for a Keto Diet!
Are you new to a low carb diet? Some of the foods you have to avoid or limit are pretty obvious. It's pretty clear that you need to avoid most starches. These are bread, pasta, beans and potatoes. It's also clear that most desserts are out of the question. You should avoid foods high in sugar content as well.
One thing most new low-carbers and those trying to live a keto lifestyle don't often consider is the carb content of other foods, such as nuts. Since they aren't bready foods that means they're safe, right?
Well, not quite. That's why I've put together this super convenient guide of the Best Low Carb Nuts for a Keto Diet!
And to make things even more convenient, I've put together a fantastic printable list of all of the Best Low Carb Fruits, Vegetables and Nuts for quick reference.
It's perfect for sticking on the fridge or carrying with you to the grocery store. Trust me, there's nothing worse than getting back home from the grocery store with bags of stuff you thought was low carb. Only to find out you were mistaken.
I aim to take that possibility out of the equation with this nifty guide.
How Many Carbs Can You Have On Keto?
Most keto guidelines recommend that you stay between 15 and 30g of net carbs a day. This is about 5-10% of your daily calorie intake.
Best Low Carb Nuts
NOTE: All of these nuts have 9 grams of net carbs or less per serving, most of which have fewer than 3 net carbs per serving.
There are few snacks as convenient as nuts when on a low carb diet. They're naturally snack-sized and easy to carry around in a zip lock bag. They're a quick craving cruncher. They have a long shelf life with no need to refrigerate them. Enjoy these because they are wonderfully low in carb content.
Now, not all nuts are created equal in the world of low carb foods. Some nuts are exceptionally low carb. Pecans, macadamia nuts and Brazil nuts, all of which have less than 2 net carbs per one ounce serving. That makes them the best nuts for Keto.
Are Pistachios Keto?
Pistachios, cashews and soy nuts. They can be higher in carb content . So, they should be eaten in moderation.
Not only a convenient snack, they can be used as an alternative to higher carb ingredients as well!
They can be used as a breading substitute. Make some of the best breaded chicken you've ever had! Don't believe me? Check out this delectable Pecan Chicken Tenders recipe!
Best Low Carb Nuts
- Pecans (1 ounce, or approximately 20 halves) - 1 gram net carbs / 3 grams dietary fiber / 4 grams total carbs
- Macadamia Nuts (1 ounce, or approximately 11 to 12 macadamia nuts) - 1.5 grams net carbs / 2.4 grams dietary fiber / 3.9 grams total carbs
- Brazil Nuts (1 ounce, or approximately 6 kernels) - 1.4 gram net carbs / 2.1 grams dietary fiber / 3.5 grams total carbs
- Walnuts (1 ounce, or approximately 7 whole pieces) - 2 grams net carbs / 1.9 grams dietary fiber / 3.9 grams total carbs
- Hazelnuts (1 ounce, or approximately 12 nuts) - 2 grams net carbs / 2.7 grams dietary fiber / 4.7 grams total carbs
- Pine Nuts (1 ounce, or approximately 167 nut kernels) - 2.7 grams net carbs / 1 gram dietary fiber / 3.7 total carbs
- Peanuts (1 ounce, or approximately 28 peanuts) - 2.2 grams .net carbs / 2.4 grams dietary fiber / 4.6 grams total carbs
- Almonds (1 ounce, or approximately 24 shelled almonds) - 2.5 grams net carbs / 3.5 grams dietary fiber / 6 grams total carbs
- Sunflower Seeds (1 ounce, or ¼ cup) - 4 grams net carbs / 3 grams dietary fiber / 7 grams total carbs
- Pistachios (1 ounce, or approximately 49 kernels) - 5.1 grams net carbs / 2.9 grams dietary fiber / 8 grams total carbs
You can see the full list of the Best Low Carb Nuts below. You can also see their carb content per serving in this printable list right HERE.
So there you have it. A comprehensive list of the best low carb nuts all compiled in one great printable! If you've found this list helpful in any other way, let me know!