Tacos are all the rage and rightfully so! Tacos are a classic Mexican dish that is always a crowd-pleaser. If you're looking for a healthier chicken taco recipe, this Tacos de Alambre dish is a perfect choice.
Why These Keto Tacos Are So Great
- Flavorful. Rich in taste, with all the flavors you would expect from a taco dish.
- Low Carb. Can you believe this is keto-friendly? What's even better, it's made with chicken and bacon, for a light yet, flavorful recipe.
- Less Dishes. One-pan meal that your family will love.
- Easy. Brown some bacon and veggies and then add spices and chicken.
- Authentic Tasting. Just like you would get at your favorite Mexican restaurant.
- Versatile. People are used to their taco recipe being made with ground beef. These Tacos de Alambre are chicken tacos, but that doesn't mean you can't swap out for the meat you prefer.
Tacos de Alambre | Keto Taco Meat Recipe
Tacos de Alambre is a popular Mexican dish that consists of meat, bacon, bell peppers, onions, cheese, salsa, and on occasion, some people like to use avocado.
This dish is traditionally served with grilled beef and all the ingredients listed above. However, any meat can be substituted. As you can see, I've used chicken instead of grilled beef.
Not only is chicken cheaper but, it's leaner and many people prefer not to eat red meats.
Can I freeze Chicken Tacos de Alambre?
This dish doesn't freeze well once you've added the cheese. If you would like to save it for later by freezing it, you can make it without the cheese.
Freeze it, and upon reheating it, add the cheese then. Be sure to freeze it in a freezer-friendly container for best results.
How to Make Chicken Tacos de Alambre
Definitely watch the video in this post for a short version. For the longer version, head on over to Youtube where the longer Tacos de Alambre video has tips and tricks for you!
- Get your chicken taco ingredients together.
2. Marinate the chicken.
3. Cook the bacon until the sides have browned, and it has rendered fat.
4. Add the chicken to the pan and cook. When it is done, remove from the pan and set aside.
5. Meanwhile, chop onions and peppers.
6. Add the peppers and onions to the pan and cook until softened.
7. Add the chicken and bacon back to the pan and mix well.
8. Smother the whole thing with cheese, place a lid on the pan, and let the cheese melt.
What Should You Serve With This Low Carb Taco Recipe?
- Air Fried Tomatillo Salsa! It's a spicy, authentic and easy to make tomatillo salsa.
- Mexican Corn Eloté. Make sweet and savory Mexican street corn at home in your air fryer!
- Roasted Vegetable Chicken Fajitas recipe! It's simple and delicious!
- Instant Pot Mexican Ground Beef Casserole With Rice And Beans. It's a super family-friendly meal that you're going to love!
- Instant Pot Pinto Beans! They're quite possibly the best Mexican-style beans you've ever had.
If you are anything like me and love your Mexican food, I guarantee that this Tacos de Alambre will hit the spot. The perk is that you won't have that leftover uncomfortable feeling in your stomach like most Mexican food causes either. It's a hit with the family too. You really can't go wrong with this recipe.
- 6 Bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 pound chicken tenders, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1.5 teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 1.5 teaspoons Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Mexican Red Chili Powder
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped, chopped
- 2 cups Bell Peppers, chopped
- 3-4 Jalapeño Peppers, (optional)
- 1 cup shredded cheese, Mexican blend, Oaxaca or Muenster
- salsa and guacamole for serving
- Heat a 12-inch skillet on high heat. As the skillet heats, chop up the bacon. Add the bacon to the hot pan.
- While the bacon cooks, cut the chicken into bite size pieces, and marinate the chicken. To a large bowl, add the chicken, 1 tablespoon lime juice, salt, ground cumin, and chili powder. Set aside.
- When the bacon is cooked through, about 8 minutes, add the chicken to the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken and bacon to a bowl.
- To the pan, add onions and jalapenos if using. Cook until the onions are translucent, about 2 minutes. Add chopped bell peppers, and ½ teaspoon salt. Cook for 2 minutes until the peppers have softened. Add lemon juice and ¼ cup of water and deglaze the pan thoroughly.
- Add bacon and chicken to the pan, and stir well.
- Sprinkle the cheese on the chicken and vegetables. Turn heat down to medium, cover the pan with a lid, and allow the cheese to melt, about 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, get your salsa, guacamole, and sour cream in small bowls so that you can serve alongside the chicken.
Watch The Video
Get support & connect with our community on Facebook!
Originally Published May 12, 2019
Don't forget to check out my other Keto cookbooks.
Keto Instant Pot, Keto Fat Bombs, Sweets, & Treats, and Easy keto in 30 minutes.
This was truly outstanding! We aren’t keto, but try to eat lower carb. I did add a little corn but I served over cauli rice. Usually when I have cauli rice I feel a bit sorry that it’s not the real thing, but not with this meal—it was so full of flavor it didn’t even need it!
Thank you, Urvashi. I really enjoyed it. Will make it again!!
I made this last night, and I have to tell you I was unsure about it because I really do not like green peppers. However, my husband loves them so I made it with him in mind. Wow... he loved it and so did I! He remarked that we could do this one on a regular basis, which is high praise from him. LOL I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs because that's what I had on hand. We ate it with sour cream, salsa and guacamole wrapped in low carb tortillas. I can't wait to make it again! Thank you for a wonderful recipe.
Yay! I love hearing this.
That looks delicious! Thanks!
Very, very good. I substituted red peppers for the green and it was loved by all! Great keto recipe! Thank you.
This was absolutely fantastic. I didn't change a thing, but we're not keto so I made a little spanish rice to serve with this and it was a huge hit.
This looks wonderful. Printing this recipe now so I can try it.....soon.
So good and very easy with only a few ingredients!
This was a big hit at my house! I especially appreciate how simple the marinade/spice list was, making it that much quicker to get on the table.
Made the tacos alambre today for the first time but it will not be the last time for sure! Lovely dish that will be placed on our shortlist for sure!