If this Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup isn’t the easiest and best one you’ve had, send me your favorite recipe because this one will be hard to beat. This is an authentic Mexican recipe for your pressure cooker.
I have simplified my previously simple chicken tortilla Soup Recipe even more, by cooking it all in one step, in the Instant Pot, but without compromising the flavor.
There’s really only one manual step, but this one is an important one. It’s essential to sauté the vegetables until they thicken.
This will take at most 10 minutes, but will add a world of flavor to your Chicken Tortilla soup.
This is without a doubt, a robust, spicy soup.
If you need a milder version, you should cut down on the canned chipotle chile, but as this brings a lot of flavor to the soup, it may make it a little less flavorful.
I have also used fewer tortillas than other people use because I’m trying to keep it a little low carb, but I don’t think you’ll miss them in this super full-bodied soup.
I also have a vegetarian version of this soup on the blog with black beans and corn.
The Steps for this Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup are:
- Blend vegetables together
- Stir and thicken them for 10 minutes
- Cook everything together at high pressure for 20 minutes
- Shred chicken and add back
EQUIPMENT & INGREDIENTS YOU MAY NEED TO MAKE INSTANT POT CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP ARE:
- Instant Pot Mini Duo or Instant Pot 6 quart or Instant Pot 8 Quart
- Measuring cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Cutting Board (my fav one)
- Good set of Kitchen knives
- Diced Tomatoes
- Canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
I also have other recipes where you can use these canned chipotle chiles when you are done with this soup.
★ Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below! Just click on the stars in the recipe card to rate.
Simple but authentic Mexican Tortilla Soup is a spicy, savory, comforting low carb soup in your instant Pot or Pressure Cooker.
- 1/2 cup onion, roughly chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce from can with 1 teaspoon sauce (1 chili, not one can)
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1-2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoons oil
- 2 large chicken boneless skinless breasts
- 4 cups water
- 2 corn tortillas, cut into small pieces (optional)
- Sliced Avocado
- Chopped Green onions
- Shredded Mexican Blend Cheese
- Sliced Jalapenos
- Tortilla Strips
- Sour Cream
- In a blender, blend together onion, tomatoes, garlic, chipotle chili, jalapeno, salt, and cilantro.
Turn your electric Instant Pot on to Sauté, and when it is hot, add the oil.
- Once the oil starts shimmering, pour in the blended vegetables and stir well. Keep stirring on and off for 10 minutes until the sauce is relatively thickened.
Add in 4 cups of water, and if you're using the corn tortillas to thicken, add them now.
Add in chicken breast cut into big pieces (you'll need to fish them out to shred them later).
Set your Instant Pot to manual, High Pressure 20 minutes and let it release pressure naturally for 10 minutes. Release all remaining pressure when finished
Remove and shred the chicken, add back, and serve with cheese, slices of avocado, corn tortilla strips or other garnishes.
Nutritional info does not include garnishes
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating above! Just click on the stars in the recipe card to rate.
I am not a registered dietician or nutritionist. Nutritional information is provided a courtesy, and can vary depending on the exact ingredients you use.
Oh also? If you want to see the CUTEST little chef ever making this soup, you must check out my little 3-year old buddy Sam making this Chicken Tortilla Soup with her mom.
[su_youtube url=”https://youtu.be/YEYHywkJ82Y” width=”680″ height=”640″]