Easy, refreshing Korean Cucumber Salad is a wonderful vegan, keto simple cucumber salad recipe that's ready to eat within 15 minutes. If you're looking for a delicious, spicy pickle recipe, this is the one.
What is Korean Cucumber Salad or Oi Muchim?
This Korean Cucumber Salad recipe is a spicy vegan dish that's like two dishes in one. It's made by marinating cucumbers in a spicy sauce made from Korean chili flakes, sesame oil, vinegar, and garlic. Spicy and delicious the perfect Korean side dish! It's a fresh salad on day one and the leftovers are delicious when marinated.
Watch a video on Making Korean Cucumber Salad
Is Cucumber Salad Keto?
But, Sometimes this dish is served sweetened. It helps the rich flavor of the chili peppers shine through, and gives the heat a little flavor. I've opted to use Swerve instead of actual sugar to keep it Keto.
If you want a more savory flavor, you can leave the Swerve out altogether. If you want the sugar and not the sugar substitute, then just use regular white sugar in the same quantity in its place.
Can Cucumber Salad Be Made Ahead?
This recipe will last in the refrigerator for up to a week. Over time, the cucumbers get more and more pickled and taste just wonderful. My tip for the best cucumber salad recipe? Make it the day before at minimum, and enjoy all the melded flavors the day of your meal.
What is Gochugaru?
Gochugaru, or Kochukaru, is a common, traditional Korean ingredient. It's somewhere between pepper flakes and ground powder. Traditionally gochugaru is made from sun-dried chili peppers.
If you don't have, or can't get gochugaru, you can use crushed red pepper flakes instead, but then use only half the amount, and put them through a mortar and pestle or grinder to get them into slightly smaller flakes.
How Spicy is Gochugaru?
It's less spicy than cayenne, but you should still start slow. It packs a punch in a small amount, so keep that in mind when you're adding to your recipe.
What kind of cucumbers should I use for this spicy Korean Cucumber Salad?
Whatever kind of cucumber you can get. This Asian cucumber salad recipe isn't picky and it will work fine with whatever type of cucumber you have on hand.
Spicy Korean Cucumber Salad would go well with these recipes:
- Air Fried Gochujang Chicken Wings - they're a reader favorite!
- Keto Spicy Korean Beef Stew
- Beef Bulgogi Burgers - Try this salad as a topping for these burgers, or as a fun side dish!
- Korean Dak Galbi- Tender spicy chicken dish.
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below! Just click on the stars in the recipe card to rate. Don't forget to pin this recipe for later!
- 3 tablespoons (3 tablespoons) White Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons (2 tablespoons) Sesame Oil
- 2 tablespoons (2 tablespoons) Gochugaru
- 1 tablespoon (1 tablespoon) Minced Garlic
- 1 teaspoon (1 packet) Swerve, (optional)
- 3 cups (399 g) cucumbers, thinly sliced, about 2 medium cucumbers
- 1/2 cup (50 g) Chopped Green Scallions, about 3 green onions
- 1 tablespoon (1 tablespoon) Sesame Seeds, either white, black or a combination
- Make the dressing: In a small bowl, mix together vinegar, sesame oil, gochugaru, garlic, and Splenda. Set aside.
- Meanwhile peel and slice cucumbers and chop green onions. Place into a medium mixing bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the vegetables. Use clean hands to mix together the veggies and the dressing, squishing the vegetables ever so lightly to macerate.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Eat some now, and allow the rest to marinate until your next meal.
Watch The Video
Get support & connect with our community on Facebook!
Originally Published May 10, 2018
Don't forget to check out my other Keto cookbooks.
Want More Salad Recipes?
- Spicy Sichuan Smashed Cucumber Salad
- Indian Cucumber Salad
- Tomato Raita- tangy and spicy Greek yogurt salad.
- Big Mac Salad- Your favorite fast food flavors in a bowl.