This Instant Pot Shrimp with Tomatoes and Feta and olives is one of the most simple recipes you will make in your Instant pot or pressure cooker. Shrimp Saganaki is high protein, low carb, and fast. It's ready to serve in 20 minutes and can also be cooked on the stovetop or in the oven.
What Makes This Instant Pot Shrimp Soup So Wonderful?
- Fast. This delicious shrimp recipe will be ready in less than 30 minutes.
- Easy. What's easier than a one-pot Instant Pot meal?
- Low Carb. Only 5 net carbs per serving, making it a keto friendly dinner option.
- High in protein. Packs 19 grams of protein per serving.
- Delicious. An amazing Greek-inspired recipe your family will love.
As is my way, I threw together things into the pressure cooker and hoped like heck they'd turn into something half way reasonable. But I don't think I really understood how to eat this dish until we had finished with dinner. I ate it as mostly shrimp with toppings.
We realized later that it was the totally wrong way to approach this dish. Because one of the tastiest parts of this dish is actually the tomato broth.
So you're better off eating the Shrimp with Tomatoes and Feta it like a soup, with buttered bread to dip into it, or like a thinner stew, or over rice. I also realized it tastes better when a little cooler.
What is Shrimp Saganaki?
Saganaki is a Greek variety of dishes that are cooked in a small frying pan. The most common saganaki is a fried cheese appetizer. For this recipe, I have adapted this recipe so you can quickly and easily make it in the Instant Pot, but I also include stovetop instructions further down.
How To Make Instant Pot Shrimp Saganaki
- Sauté. Place butter, garlic and red pepper flakes to your Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker
- Cook. Pour in remaining ingredients and cook at low pressure for 1 minutes, QPR
- Add. Mix in feta cheese, parsley and olives and serve.
If you don't have an Instant Pot, you can also make this recipe in the more traditional way on the stovetop.
- Add. Heat a 10-inch saucepan and when it's hot, add the butter. To the melted butter add garlic and red pepper flakes. Let this sizzle for 10-15 seconds
- Mix in. Add onions, tomato paste, oregano, salt, pepper, and water. Mix until you the tomato paste has dissolved. Cover the skillet and let the sauce cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Cook and Serve. Stir in shrimp, feta cheese, and olives. Cook until the shrimp are cooked through for about 2-3 minutes. Garnish with parsley and serve.
Variations on this Instant Pot Shrimp
- Bake it. I've provided pressure cooker directions. But, you could also bake this. I think baked shrimp with tomatoes, olive and feta would be amazing during the cooler months.
- Change up the herbs. I used oregano but you could use a greek seasoning blend, or an italian seasoning blend or even a cajun seasoning blend to add a variety of flavors.
- Make it Keto. This is traditionally a lighter shrimp recipe, but if you want to make it more hearty, or increase the fat content for keto, add 3/4 cup of heavy whipping cream to finish. Please note, this will change the nutrition values listed below.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you are cooking this shrimp recipe in the Instant Pot, then it is best to use frozen shrimp. If you use fresh shrimp it can overcook and become chewy in texture.
When cooking this on the stovetop, use fresh shrimp or frozen shrimp that is fully defrosted.
As with most soups and stews, this stores really well. Let the soup cool to room temperature then transfer it to an airtight container. It will keep in the fridge for 3 days and can be frozen for up to 3 months.
Frozen saganaki should be defrosted in the fridge overnight. Reheat it on the stovetop, but very gently as you don't want to overcook the shrimp.
I like to enjoy this like a soup, just on its own or with some French bread for dipping. You can also serve it over rice, cauliflower rice, or even mashed potatoes like a stew.
More Easy Shrimp Recipes
- Air Fryer Cajun Shrimp
- Easy Shrimp Scampi
- Keto Shrimp and Grits
- Air Fryer Shrimp Fried Rice
- Cajun Shrimp and Sausage
- Bang Bang Shrimp
- Low Carb Shrimp and Coconut Milk
- Creamy Spicy Shrimp
This is a wonderful, light supper with a fresh summer taste. The cheese and olives give it a tang and some rich umami taste.
I think the trick with this Instant Pot Shrimp dish is to put the cheese in when the broth is hot so it melts/warms, and then let it sit for a few minutes before serving it. That thickens up the stock and makes it very tasty.
So, if you love this Instant Pot Shrimp recipe as much as I do, make sure you share it with your friends on Facebook and Pinterest so they can try it too.
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below! Just click on the stars in the recipe card to rate. Don't forget to pin this recipe for later!
- 2 tablespoons (2 tablespoons) Butter
- 1 tablespoon (1 tablespoon) Garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) Red Pepper Flakes, adjust to taste
- 1.5 cups (32 g) onions, chopped
- 1 14.5-oz (1 14.5-oz) Canned Tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon (1 teaspoon) Dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoons (1 teaspoons) Kosher Salt
- 1 pound (453.59 g) Frozen Raw Shrimp, 21-25 count, shelled
For the Instant Pot
- Turn your Instant Pot or Pressure cooker to Sauté and once it is hot, add the butter. Let it melt a little and then add garlic and red pepper flakes.
- Add in onions, tomatoes, oregano and salt.
- Pour in the frozen shrimp.
- Set your Instant pot to LOW pressure 1 minute.
- Once the pot is done cooking, release all pressure immediately.
- Mix in the shrimp with the rest of the lovely tomato broth.
- Allow it to cool slightly. Right before serving, sprinkle the feta cheese, olives, and parsley.
- This dish makes a soupy broth, so it's great for dipping buttered french bread into, or eat over rice, or riced cauliflower.
Stove Top Instructions
- Heat a 10-inch saucepan and when it's hot, add the butter. To the melted butter add garlic and red pepper flakes. Let this sizzle for 10-15 seconds.
- Add onions, tomato paste, oregano, salt, pepper, and water. Mix until you the tomato paste has dissolved. Cover the skillet and let the sauce cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in shrimp, feta cheese, and olives. Cook until the shrimp are cooked through for about 2-3 minutes. Garnish with parsley and serve.
- French Bread & Butter
- Riced Cauliflower
- Eat plain.