Make a perfect Persian Herbed Rice in your pressure cooker. This is a super simple, and very flavorful Instant Pot Sabzi Polo recipe that goes well with just about any meat or vegetable--although traditionally you'd have it with grilled fish.
What Is Sabzi Polo?
This dish is traditionally made during the Persian New Year or as Nowruz food but of course no need to wait until then to make this delicious rice dish.
How To Make Instant Pot Sabzi Polo?
Now we are, of course, going to take a few shortcuts. The first one of these shortcuts is that we are going to use dried herbs for our Instant Pot Sabzi Polo.
You could, of course, use fresh herbs like:
But I find it is a lot easier to use a blend of dried herbs made specifically for this purpose. So I buy this Sabzi Polo blend from Amazon to make my Instant Pot Sabzi Polo.
And we're not going to soak the dried herbs. The Instant Pot does the soaking for you.
So basically just dump everything in the pot and cook.
How To Make Stovetop Herb Rice
Making Persian green rice on the stovetop is quite simple as well. It just isn't done quite as quickly as if you were to make it in your Instant Pot. Here's how you do it:
- Soak. Rehydrate your dried herbs in hot water for 30 minutes.
- Drain. Remove any excess water from your rehydrated herbs.
- Boil. Bring water to a boil and turn heat to low.
- Add. Combine dried rice, butter, and herbs and add to boiling water.
- Cook. Cover with a lid and cook undisturbed for 20 minutes.
- Stir. Gently stir the rice, so as not to break the grains.
- Taste. Make sure it is seasoned to your liking, and enjoy.
What Do You Serve Sabzi Polo With?
Traditionally, you serve this herbed rice recipe with fish. I've tried it with this amazing Broiled Salmon recipe and it was the perfect meal.
You could also make this Instant Pot Sabzi Polo with my air fryer Persian Joojeh Kabab which is an easy recipe for a very delicious chicken kababs.
I also have a ton of different Instant Pot Rice recipes here that you might like.
And if you're looking for more delicious rice recipes, my Nigerian Fried Rice recipe is absolutely bursting with flavor! Or make this delicious and authentic Indian Pilau easily and quickly in your Instant Pot! Peas and carrots with rice have never tasted so good!
Want More Vegetarian Recipes?
If you love this Instant Pot Sabzi Polo as much as we do, make sure you share it with your friends on Facebook and Instagram. Don't forget to pin it so you can make it again soon!
- Place the rinsed rice in the inner liner of your Instant Pot. Add the mixed dried herbs, water, and salt and mix well.
- Cut up the butter into small pieces and sprinkle it over the rice.
- Cook the rice and herbs on high pressure for 4 minutes, and then allow the pot to sit undisturbed for 10 minutes.
- Release any remaining pressure, open the lid, and stir gently with a spatula, taking care to not break the rice.
Stove Top Sabzi Polo
- Rehydrate the dried herbs in a medium bowl of hot water for 30 minutes
- Drain excess water from rehydrated herbs
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a pan
- Add rehydrated herbs, butter, and 1 cup of rice to boiling water and reduce burner to low
- Cook for 20 minutes undisturbed
- Lightly fluff rice with a fork
Get support & connect with our community on Facebook!
Originally Published April 13, 2018