This Air Fryer Low Carb Persian Joojeh Kababs Grilled Saffron Chicken is aromatic, easy, and very family-friendly. It's really perfect for kids. Joojeh kababs are traditionally made with boneless, skinless chicken breast, but I think it's actually juicier if you use chicken thighs. So you use whatever you want and it will be delicious either way.
WHAT ARE JOOJEH KABABS?
I know this says it's a kabab recipe, and there are just pieces of chicken on the plate in the pictures, but that's because really it was just easier to throw the chicken in the Air Fryer basket and be done with it. If you want to cook it on the skewers, you can, or you can even put them on skewers when they're done cooking. Either way, they're tasty and perfect in the air fryer.
Usually, Joojeh Kababs are served with tomatoes and onions. In addition to the vegetables, you'll also normally find basmati rice as well.
IF YOU LIKE KEBABS, YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT MY KOFTA KEBABS RECIPE!
And if you're looking for more great Persian recipes, make this super simple, and very flavorful Instant Pot Sabzi Polo recipe to go with any meat or vegetable.
WHAT IS SAFFRON WATER?
Saffron water is used as a way to preserve saffron since it can be an expensive spice. Saffron water is best used when a recipe already calls for liquid in the first place. Typically you would take some saffron and grind it in a mortar and pestle and then put it in a small amount of water for about half an hour. If you don't want to mess with that, you can just throw a few strands of saffron into the recipe and call it a day for Joojeh Kababs.
Want More Low Carb Chicken Recipes?
- Instant Pot Butter Chicken- My most famous recipe.
- Buffalo Chicken Casserole- the perfect appetizer or meal.
- Keto Chicken Tenders- Your kids will beg you for these.
- French Garlic Chicken- Sauce good enough to drink.
- Creamy Chicken Salad- Great for meal prep.
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole- Comfort food without the carbs.
EQUIPMENT YOU MAY NEED TO MAKE THIS KETO AIR FRIED CHICKEN KABABS | PERSIAN JOOJEH KABABS
- Gowise Air Fryer or Philips Avance XL or Breville Smart Oven Air
- Meat Thermometer. Essential for Air Fryer cooking!
- Air Fryer accessory set or 7-inch pan
- Tongs to move stuff around. I use either these big silicone tongs or this set of Smaller Tongs which are easier on my hands
- Measuring cups
- My favorite cutting board
- Good set of knives
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below! Just click on the stars in the recipe card to rate. Don't forget to pin this recipe for later!
- 1.5 pounds (680.39 g) chicken breasts, cut into large, bite-size pieces
- 1/4 cup (40 g) Onion, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup (50 g) Full-Fat Greek Yogurt
- 1 tablespoon (1 tablespoon) Oil
- 1 teaspoon (1 teaspoon) Kosher Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) Ground Black Pepper
- 2 tablespoons (2 tablespoons) saffron water, See recipe
- 1 teaspoon (1 teaspoon) Turmeric
Make the Saffron Water
- In a mortar and pestle, grind together equal parts of saffron and sugar. You're doing this for two reasons. One, it extends the use of the saffron by flavoring the sugar with the aroma and essence. Two, once it is ground up fine, it dissolves in water more easily.
- Use about 1/2 teaspoon of this powder mixed with 1 cup of hot water to give you a saffron water you can use to flavor meats, desserts, and cakes.
- Place chicken in a large bowl.
- Place onion, Greek yogurt, oil, salt, paprika, and black pepper in a small blender container and process until you get a smooth mixture.
- Pour this mixture over the chicken.
- Add turmeric and saffron water and mix until the chicken is well-coated with the marinade. You’re adding these two ingredients later to keep your blender bowl from being irrevocably stained yellow.
- Allow the chicken to marinate for 30 minutes or for up to 24 hours in a refrigerator.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade, and place in the air fryer basket.
- Set the air fryer to 370F for 15 minutes, flipping the chicken halfway through.
- Test with a meat thermometer to ensure the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165F before serving.
- These joojeh kababs are usually served with plain white rice with butter, and a sprinkle of the saffron water on top of it.