Very popular Creamy Chicken Salad Recipe. Just 5 ingredients, a simple little hack, and probably one of the best chicken salads you'll ever make. Additional variations keep it interesting and versatile.
Why You Have To Try This Creamy Chicken Salad
- Easy. Simple steps that your kids can even help with.
- Few Ingredients. Less than 5 ingredients.
- Fast. Ready in under 30 minutes.
- Family Friendly. Familiar flavors even the kids will love.
- Low Carb. 2 grams of carbs per serving.
- Simple Hack. An easy trick to shredding the chicken detailed below.
How To Shred Rotisserie Chicken
Do not skip this step and think you'll just kinda wing it with your knife.
There's something about using the paddle of your stand mixer to shred the chicken that will make even the driest chicken breast just taste wonderful in this salad.
If you simply follow my directions, this may well be the creamiest, and most moist chicken salad you've ever had.
How Do You Make Chicken Salad From Scratch?
- Place cooked chicken meat in your Kitchenaid or another stand mixer. Use the paddle to shred the chicken. Do not skip this step! This is the key to why this salad is very creamy, moist, and just delicious.
- You can do this by pulsing in a food processor as well. This step is critical to finely shred the chicken.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together chicken, mayonnaise, celery, salt, and black pepper.
- Eat that delicious chicken salad.
- No really, it's that simple.
What Kind Of Chicken Is Best for making Chicken Salad?
- Rotisserie Chicken. I typically do this with a rotisserie chicken.
- Homemade chicken. You can make your own "rotisserie" chicken by following my instructions for Fast and Easy Chicken in the Instant Pot.
- Canned Chicken. You can also use canned chicken for this salad.
- Chicken Thighs and Chicken Breast. I like to use a mix of dark and white meat, but you can use whatever you prefer.
Why Does Chicken Salad Get Runny?
When you're assembling your chicken salad it is important to add the ingredients in the correct order.
If you add the celery or any other watery vegetables that may release water before you thoroughly mix the mayo and chicken, you're likely to cause extra liquid to release.
This may cause your creamy chicken salad to turn into a watery chicken salad.
But you do not need to fret about runny chicken salad. Just give everything a good stir, and it will incorporate back again, given you a smooth and creamy chicken salad once again.
If you don't plan to serve your chicken salad right away, you can save the celery for later.
Variations For This Chicken Salad Recipe
This chicken salad recipe is fantastic on its own. I guarantee you won't be disappointed. That being said, I'm never one to eat the same thing over and over.
Whether you're trying to repurpose this chicken salad recipe for leftovers or want to try something different, here are five other variations.
Chicken Salad With Grapes
Chicken Salad With Grapes. If you want a chicken salad recipe with grapes all you need to do is follow the recipe below and add grapes right before serving so that the grapes do not release excess moisture into your creamy chicken salad.
Grilled Chicken Salad Recipe
Summer is the perfect time for grilling. Many nights we have leftover grilled chicken. Don't hesitate to use the grilled chicken breasts you have in the fridge to make this recipe.
Just shred as you would other cooked chicken breasts and enjoy the smokey grill flavors added to your creamy chicken salad.
Rotisserie Chicken Salad
Feeling too tired to cook? Running short on time? Use rotisserie chicken. This is one of my favorite kitchen hacks because of how easy and flavorful it makes any chicken recipe.
Chicken Salad With Eggs
Chicken Salad Sandwich
I know, it seems kind of silly to list this as an alternative, but some of us that eat low carb are programmed to not even think of sandwiches because bread can be high in carbs.
For your family that may not be eating low carb, this creamy chicken salad is delicious on a bun. It's even delicious on my Keto Bread if you are envious of their sandwich.
Shred your chicken, cut the egg loaf, and mix together as the recipe lists below.
How Long Does Chicken Salad Last?
Chicken salad is always best when eaten fresh. As I mentioned above, the celery can release liquid and cause it to become runny over time. That being said, this chicken salad recipe can be stored for 3 to 5 days in the refrigerator safely.
What To Serve With Chicken Salad
Overall, this Creamy Chicken Salad recipe is anything but disappointing. With all of my variations, this works well for lunch and dinner, with kids and adults in mind. If your family loves this recipe make sure you share it with your Facebook friends and Pin to make it again later.
- Place cooked chicken meat in your Kitchenaid or other stand mixer. Use the paddle to shred the chicken. Do not skip this step! This is the key to why this salad is very creamy, moist, and just delicious. You can do this by pulsing in a food processor as well. This step is critical to finely shredding the chicken
- Mix in everything into the chicken, and eat.
- No really, it's that simple.
Variations For Creamy Chicken Salad
- Chicken Salad with Grapes- Prepare chicken salad as directed in the recipe. Cut grapes in half and gently stir in before serving.
- Rotisserie Chicken Salad Recipe- Shred seasoned rotisserie chicken and use in place of the chicken in this recipe. Cuts cooking time in half!
- Grilled Chicken Salad Recipe- Use leftover grilled chicken to amplify the flavor of the chicken salad. This version will be slightly less creamy since it will not shred as finely.
- Chicken Salad Sandwich- Serve any version of this creamy chicken salad on a bun or Keto bread for a delicious lunch or picnic.
Get support & connect with our community on Facebook!
Originally published June 2014