I have always been a huge potato lover and have many recipes that include potatoes. I only add more of these recipes, like this Savory Potato Patties, as time goes on because potatoes are so easy to create with.
These patties are not only easy, but they work great as an addition to a dish, as a snack, or as an appetizer.
There are two awesome aspects about these Savory Potato Patties.
One, they're vegan which means there are no animal products whatsoever used to make them.
Second, this recipe is made in the Air Fryer which means they weren't heavily cooked in oil, making them a lighter dish than traditionally fried foods. It makes a great snack or side dish.
Savory Potato Patties | Air Fried Vegan Appetizer / Side Dish
Aloo Tikkis, or the insides of a savory little snack called batata wada, usually start with boiled potatoes. But I don't like recipes with two different cook cycles and so I wanted an easier way to do this.
So here was my clever hack.
I found that instant potatoes do the trick just perfectly. The end result is crispy, savory, crunchy and just delicious.
Now let me be honest. I NEVER use instant products if I can help it. In fact, I had never before had Instant Mashed Potatoes.
I literally had to go ask at the grocery store to find out where one could buy such a thing. But I was very sure that they would work for an air fryer recipe.
So off I went, to find some way to make potato patties in the air fryer.
Boy am I glad I did! It worked, and it did so with zero fuss, and lots of taste.
These Savory Potato Patties are really versatile and can go with just about anything. Serve these patties with a little tamarind chutney or mint chutney and you're all set.
You can easily double or triple this recipe, and leave the rest of the spiced potato mixture for another day.
If you're looking for more delectable vegan dishes, check out my Moroccan Chickpea Soup. It's a hearty vegan dish that's full of flavor and plant protein!
Another fantastic vegan recipe is my Amchoor Potatoes recipe! The air fryer makes them perfectly crispy and they're done in no time.
Have some extra potatoes in the pantry and need some more recipes to use them in? Make these savory, cheesy Potatoes Au Grain right in your air fryer, leaving the oven open for the main course!
If you're looking for more delicious potato recipes, check out my Irish Colcannon. It's a wonderful twist on mashed potatoes that you're going to love!
If you're looking for more great air fryer side dishes, check out my Air Fryer Roasted Pearl Onions Recipe! They are delightfully sweet, crispy and oh so yummy!
Looking for more great Indian street food recipes? Check out my list of 35+ Tantalizing Indian Street Food Recipes!
I currently have an obsession of dunking these Savory Potato Patties into various dips. I love cream cheese based dips.
So, I gave them a try in one or two of those dips and, of course, it was as delicious. I have always been a huge fan of potatoes because they work at so many levels. I have a feeling I will never get over my love of potatoes and this delicious recipe continues that love.
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below! Just click on the stars in the recipe card to rate. Don't forget to pin this recipe for later!
- 2/3 cup (40 g) dry instant potatoes
- 1/4 cup (35 g) Frozen Peas and Carrots, defrosted
- 2 tablespoons (2 tablespoons) chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon (1 tablespoon) Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) Turmeric
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon (0.25 ) Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) Kosher Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) Ground Cumin
- 2/3 cup (166.67 g) hot water
- In a medium bowl, mix all ingredients. Cover and let the mixture rest for 10 minutes. Mix well.
- Spray the air fryer basket with oil.
- Using your hands, make 12 round, flat patties with even edges. Place patties directly into the air fryer basket. (You may have to cook in two batches in a small air fryer).
- Set air fryer at 400F for 10 minutes. At 5 minutes, spray with some vegetable oil, and let the patties finish cooking.