Make an authentic Maharashtrian Masalé Bhat in your instant pot or pressure cooker. Check out my Goda Masala Recipe for a special spice mix to create your own fresh spices for this rice.
This Masalé Bhat is without a doubt, one of my favorite ways to eat rice. I waver between this recipe and the Chicken Biryani recipe but they're two entirely different things (which means, more reason to eat two variations!) To make this rice, you will first need to make the Maharashtrian Goda Masala recipe here.
Trust me, this Masalé Bhat is worth the small effort it takes. The rice itself is simplicity itself, especially if you double up on the Goda Masala and have some left over. As to what vegetables to add, I used cabbage, onion, and green peppers, but you can use any quick-cooking vegetable (as in, no artichoke or spaghetti squash).
As you can see from the list of ingredients below, this Masalé Bhat recipe is simplicity itself.
HOW TO MAKE MAHARASHTRIAN MASALÉ BHAT
- Heat oil with cumin and mustard seeds
- Add vegetables, rice, water, spices
- Cook on Rice setting (typically 12 mins at Low Pressure), allow natural pressure release for 10 mins, release remaining pressure
If you love this Masalé Bhat recipe as much as I do, make sure you share it with your friends on Facebook and Pinterest so they can try it too.
- 1 tablespoon (1 tablespoon) homemade Ghee, or oil
- 1/4 teaspoons (0.25 teaspoons) cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoons (0.25 teaspoons) Black Mustard Seeds, (omit if you don't have)
- 1 cup (182 g) vegetables, chopped (see note)
- 1 cup (185 g) Basmati Rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/4 cup (312.5 ml) Water
- 2 tablespoon (2 tablespoon) Goda Masala
- 1 teaspoon (1 teaspoon) Kosher Salt
- 1/4 teaspoons (0.25 teaspoons) Turmeric
- 1/4 cup (36.5 g) Spanish peanuts , or other roasted peanuts
- 1/4 cup (4 g) Cilantro, , chopped
- Turn on you Instant Pot and heat on Sauté. Once it's hot, add ghee. To the melted ghee, add the cumin and mustard seeds and let them sputter like popcorn.
- Add in your vegetables and stir to coat with the flavored ghee.
- Add rice, salt, water, peanuts, and all spices.
- Cook on the Rice Setting (Low Pressure, 12 minutes) and let it release pressure naturally for 10 minutes, releasing remaining pressure.
- Add chopped cilantro and serve. This dish would go well with the Tomato Coconut Soup.