Confused about what to eat on Keto diets? Wondering what is allowed and what you can't have on keto? Let me simplify this for a beginner because it's easy for people to complicate Keto diets. But it can be easy to get started.
I am not a medical, or health care professional so you definitely want to consult what my sons call "a real doctor, not a Ph.D. like my Mom".
The main thing to remember is to limit carbs to between 20-50 gms, eat moderate protein, eat lots of fat. When in doubt on what to eat on Keto, you can't go wrong with fats or high-fat proteins
What To Eat On A Ketogenic Diet
- Most vegetables except potatoes, beets, carrots & starchy squashes
- Nuts & Nut butters in moderation
- Oils, coconut oil, butter, ghee
- High protein lactose-free milk
- Heavy whipping cream
- A little sour cream,
- A little Greek yogurt
- The occasional handful of berries
- Keep nuts to 1/4 c, berries to half a cup and don’t do those plus yogurt on the same day.
WHAT NOT TO EAT ON A KETOGENIC DIET:
- Other Fruits
- Anything from the bakery.
If you did JUST that, you’d be ahead.
So don't use the fact that people complicate keto as a reason to not get started.
I hope this was helpful and that people won’t be arguing with me about details. This is baby steps about what to eat on Keto. Not super precise but it’s a place to start.
People will argue about this cheese or that meat but if you’re eating a regular diet now, this is a good starting point.
Also for the first week, do not skimp on the salt, and don't worry as much about calories. Once your body adjusts to the lack of carbs, your hunger will decrease automatically.
Over time, you will want to track carbs and add to your list of what to eat on Keto, but this is a good starting point.
Other good keto resources
- How to start keto
- Keto week 1
- Keto week 2
- Keto week 3
- Keto week 4
- How to calculate keto macros
- What can you eat on keto?
- Low carb Starbucks drinks
- Low carb fruits and vegetables
- Low carb nuts
- Easy low carb protein shakes for keto
- Best and Worst Keto Sweeteners for keto
- The best Keto Fast food options
- My favorite keto snacks on Amazon
- Best no-cook keto snacks for busy people
- Simple Intermittent fasting guide
- Popular Keto Myths Busted
- How to break a weight loss plateau
- 10 things to get back to Keto Basics
- The BEST Instant Pot Keto Recipes
- Easy Keto Air Fryer Recipes
- Keto and dairy-free recipes
Looking For Some Low Carb Recipes You'll Love?
- Butter Chicken - My most famous recipe.
- Big Mac Salad - A great copycat recipe.
- Chicken Korma - Just like your favorite Indian takeout.
- Chicken Vindaloo - Amazing spicy flavors.
- Keto Chicken Tenders - Make you and your kids happy.
- Big Mac Sauce - Put it on EVERYTHING.