This Instant Pot Coconut Chickpea Curry recipe is an easy and delicious vegan recipe that's SO very good. Make it easily right in your pressure cooker or slow cooker.
What Makes This Coconut Chickpea Curry Recipe So Good
When most people think of a curry recipe, they think of lots of ingredients you don't have and crazy long cook times.
Good thing for you, my specialty is making traditional meals in non-traditional ways to make them with #ruthlessefficiency.
I also have a lot of other Instant Pot Vegetarian Meals you might want to check out
Is This Chickpea Curry Vegan?
Yes. It's made with coconut milk instead of real cream, so it's vegan-friendly and delicious.
How To Make Coconut Chickpea Curry
- Purée. In a small blender container, purée coconut, cilantro, ginger, garlic, serrano pepper, and water until you have a rough, gritty mixture (about 30 seconds).
- Sauté. Heat the Instant Pot on SAUTÉ. Add oil. When the oil is hot, add the coconut spice mixture and cook for 2 minutes until the mixture has toasted a little.
- Spice. Add tomatoes, salt, cayenne, and turmeric and cook until the tomatoes have softened a little (about 2 minutes).
- Chickpeas. Add chickpeas and water and close the lid.
- Cook. Press CANCEL to turn off Sauté. Press PRESSURE COOK and cook on HIGH for 30 minutes for chickpeas with a little chew and 40 minutes for super soft chickpeas.
- 10 mins NPR. Allow the pot to naturally pressure release for 10 minutes, release the remaining pressure and serve.
Can I Use Canned Chickpeas?
Not really because if you try to pressure cook those in this recipe, they will turn to mush.
If you shorten the cooking time, the coconutty spice mix won't cook as well.
Use dried chickpeas and soak them overnight or for an hour under hot water, to help them soften a touch so you can cook them to perfection faster.
Are Chickpeas The Same As Garbanzo Beans?
If the chickpeas in this Coconut Chickpea Curry and garbanzo beans seem very similar, it's because they are indeed the same thing.
They have simply been given different names in different cultures. "Garbanzo" is the Spanish term while "chickpea" is the English one.
Are Chickpeas Good For You?
Yes, as a matter of fact, they are. I think unless you are super carb sensitive, beans and legume recipes can be a tasty part of your everyday diet.
Chickpeas are a great source of many vitamins and minerals, and a single cup can provide around 40% of your daily value of fiber, around 22 of your daily value of iron, not to mention they are a great source of protein, especially if you are living a vegan lifestyle.
The chickpeas in this Coconut Chickpea Curry can also help manage your blood sugar levels.
Since they have a low glycemic index, your body digests them slowly. This helps keep your blood sugar and insulin low, which is particularly beneficial for those with diabetes.
How to Make Chickpeas in the Slow Cooker
So I have a Slow Cooker Chana Masala Recipe here and I wrote a section on how to make slow cooker chickpeas in that one. Rather than repeat everything here, and make this post waaaay toooo loooong, how about you just check that one out?
Other Chickpea Recipes
There are lots of yummy ways to enjoy chickpeas. Aside from my Coconut Chickpea Curry, here are a few more delicious ways to enjoy them:
- Instant Pot Moroccan Chickpea Soup - A hearty, vegan recipe that's full of spice and flavor you'd expect from Moroccan food!
- Indian Chickpea Salad - A no-cook vegan salad made in 30 minutes.
- Chana Masala Recipe - A delicious and traditional Indian recipe made with chickpeas.
- Chickpea Soup - Filled to the brim with chickpeas, rainbow chard, and yellow summer squash.
- Chickpea Brownies - Gluten-free brownies that taste like the real thing!
Don't forget to check out my other Best-selling Instant Pot Cookbooks!
Whether you're a long time fan of chickpea curry or this is your first time enjoying it, you're sure to love my Instant Pot Coconut Chickpea Curry recipe.
Make sure to share this recipe with your friends on Pinterest and Facebook so they can enjoy it as well!
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below! Just click on the stars in the recipe card to rate.
For The Coconut Paste
- In a small blender container, purée coconut, cilantro, ginger, garlic, serrano pepper, and water until you have a rough, gritty mixture (about 30 seconds).
- Heat the Instant Pot on SAUTÉ. Add oil. When the oil is hot, add the coconut spice mixture and cook for 2 minutes until the mixture has toasted a little.
- Add tomatoes, salt, cayenne, and turmeric and cook until the tomatoes have softened a little (about 2 minutes).
- Add chickpeas and water and close the lid.
- Press CANCEL to turn off Sauté. Press PRESSURE COOK and cook on HIGH for 30 minutes for chickpeas with a little chew and 40 minutes for super soft chickpeas.
- Allow the pot to naturally pressure release for 10 minutes, release the remaining pressure and serve.
- Use unswseetened coconut for this. If you can't find it, soak sweetened coconut shreds in hot water adn change out the water 2-3 times to get the sugar washed out of the coconut.
- You cam't really use canned chickpeas for this. The sauce needs more time to cook.
- If you just CAN'T wait for thsoe chickpeas to soak, just add another 1/4 cup of water and cook for an additional 10 minutes,