German Apple Pancakes will have your house smelling like a bakery. Apples, the batter with the vanilla, and warm spices like nutmeg, and cinnamonâ€”how could anyone not love this combination?
German Apple Pancakes | Air Fryer Recipe
Apple Pancake batter is light and fluffy and it all comes together with ease while still looking and tasting quite complex. Eat this for a decadent breakfast, a light lunch, or just because.
This recipe is somewhat in between a traditional dutch baby, a pancake, and a cake. Which are three delicious things that you can make in any case. The final texture is a little thicker than a pancake but lighter than a cake.
What are German Apple Pancakes Made Of?
German Apple Pancakes are also referred to as Dutch Baby Pancakes. They are a large popover pancake batter that most people bake in a cast-iron skillet. The batter puffs up in the oven as it bakes, and then the cooked batter falls as it cools down. This happens when you take the German Apple Pancakes out of the oven and the cool air from your kitchen hits it. Think of it somewhere between a crepe and french toast.
You will need flour, sugar, vanilla, milk, and of course, butter to get this batter started. Warming spices such as cinnamon and nutmeg make this German Pancake Recipe comforting and leave your family counting down the days until you make it again.
You will definitely want to add this apple dessert to your air fryer recipe index.
Watch a Video on Making German Apple Pancakes
Benefits of Making Pancakes in the Air Fryer
Time and ease. Why? #RuthlessEfficiency. Dutch baby pancakes usually take about 45 minutes to bake in the oven, and that doesn’t include the preparing of the apples. If I have the opportunity to make a delicious breakfast in half that time, then you know that I am going to do just that. And, I don’t have have to preheat my oven, or heat the entire house as it cooks.
It is important to note that you must let the batter rest for 30 minutes. This gives the flour a chance to absorb all the liquid in the batter and will allow your Dutch Baby Pancake to cook properly.
HOW TO MAKE GERMAN APPLE PANCAKES
STEP 1: In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Whisk lightly.
STEP 2: Gradually add milk, whisking constantly. Then, add vanilla, butter, and nutmeg. Make sure there are no lumps. Let the batter stand for 30 minutes.
STEP 3: For the apples: In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir until well combined; set aside. Peel and chop apples.
STEP 4: Place the butter in a 6-inch round baking pan. Place the plan in the air fryer basket. Set the air fryer to 400Â°F for 2 minutes.When butter is melted and the pan is hot, brush some of the butter up the sides of the pan.
STEP 5: Sprinkle the spiced sugar mixture over the butter. Arrange apple slices in the pan in a single layer. Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar over the apples. Set the air fryer to 2 minutes or until the mixture bubbles.
STEP 6: Gently pour the batter mixture over the apples. Set the air fryer to 350Â°F and bake for 12 minutes or until batter is golden brown around the edges and center is cooked through.
STEP 7: Serve immediately. Like, right now. Go make these! Take me on IG when you do! #TrustUrvashi.
Once you’ve mastered this Air Fryer Recipe, you can add whatever your favorite fruit is, or what is in season. You could add pears, peaches, or even pumpkin would accompany the recipe nicely. And bonus? You most likely already have everything you need on hand.
Toppings for German Apple Pancakes
Ice Cream. Are there even any others? 🙂
I usually add plain whipped cream on it. With all of the flavor this has, ice cream often feels like gilding the lilyâ€”which is not a bad thing for a special occasion.
Eat these right away, as they do not reheat well. Place the pancakes into the air fryer just as you sit down to dinner, so that when you're done eating, your Apple Pancake is ready to eat. That way you can have it hot.
Need More Dessert Recipes?
So the next time you’re looking for an indulgent and deliciously filling breakfast, make some delightful German Apple Pancakes! Make sure to share this recipe with your friends on Pinterest if you enjoyed it!
★ Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below! Just click on the stars in the recipe card to rate. Tag me with #TrustUrvashi if you post and I will share your post.
For the Batter
For the Batter
- In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Whisk lightly. Gradually add milk, whisking constantly. Whisk in vanilla, butter, and nutmeg. Let batter stand for 30 minutes.
For the Apples
- In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir until well combined; set aside.
- Place the butter in a 6-inch round baking pan. Place the plan in the air fryer basket. Set the air fryer to 400Â°F for 2 minutes. When butter is melted and pan is hot, brush some of the butter up the sides of the pan.
- Sprinkle the spiced sugar mixture over the butter. Arrange apple slices in the pan in a single layer. Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar over the apples.
- Set the air fryer to 2 minutes or until the mixture bubbles.
- Gently pour the batter mixture over the apples. Set the air fryer to 350Â°F and bake for 12 minutes, or until batter is golden brown around the edges and center is cooked through.
- Serve immediately with ice cream, if desired.
- You can substitute apple pie spice, or pumpkin pie spice for a change of pace, although both those spice mixes have considerably less nutmeg than in this recipe.
- These apple pancakes need to be eaten right away!