Did you ever think you could make cream of wheat do this?? Crazy beautiful, absolutely delicious, vegetarian and stupid simple. Air Fryer Eggless Farina cake looks gorgeous and is moist and delicious.
Tips & Trick to Making Eggless Farina Cake
Okay people, come listen and learn from my mistakes. I had to make this recipe three times before I got it right. Either that or you will have a cake that’s more like a brick than a cake which is exactly how my first two attempts turned out. Done right, however, you’ll have moist, delicious little slice of heaven in each cake, with a crispy outside and a tender inside.
- It is extremely important to use fine farina. If what you have is large grains of Farina, use your blender with a milling blade, or a coffee grinder to mill the grains smaller.
- You really must let the batter soak for the specified 20 minutes. It needs that time to absorb all the moisturey goodness
- Other recipes out there call for a lot of yogurt. That didn't work for me. The sour yogurt taste came through too loudly. I tested my way into 1/4 cup of sour cream and that worked well.
- Don't skimp on the baking powder AND baking soda. I discovered the hard way that you need both.
So I mean just follow the recipe exactly as I wrote it, and you should be fine.
What the heck is Farina/Rava/Sooji?
Easy hack 1: Cream of wheat is Farina.
Easy hack 2: To go the Indian Grocery store and ask for Fine Sooji
But if you want to know more, Farina is milled soft wheat. It is NOT the same as semolina. Farina is made from wheat that is not durum wheat. Semolina is made from durum wheat.
It's also high in gluten, so obviously isn't designed for anyone with a gluten allergy or intolerance. If you need a gluten free cake recipe, or even if you don't, you should check out my Coconut Chocolate Cake recipe, it is seriously amazing.
EQUIPMENT YOU MAY NEED TO MAKE THIS AIR FRYER EGGLESS FARINA CAKE:
- Gowise Air Fryer or Philips Avance XL or Breville Smart Oven Air
- Meat Thermometer. Essential for Air Fryer cooking!
- AIr Fryer accessory set or 7-inch pan
- Tongs to move stuff around. I use either these big silicone tongs or this set of Smaller Tongs which are easier on my hands
- Parchment paper rounds to line the bottom of the pan if you want it to look pretty
- Or you can use a 7-Springform pan (I like this one because it has two different bottoms) or a 7-inch push pan which is also good for cheesecakes
- Measuring cups
- My favorite cutting board
- Good set of knives
? Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below! Just click on the stars in the recipe card to rate.
- 1 cup (150 g) Dried Fruit
- 2 cups (500 g) hot water
- 1 cup (173 g) fine farina or rava/sooji, or cream of wheat, milled fine
- 1 cup (244 ml) Whole Milk
- 1 cup (200 g) Sugar Or Other Sweetener Equivalent
- 1/4 cup (54.5 g) Ghee or Oil
- 1/4 cup (57.5 g) sour cream , or plain yogurt
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) Ground Cardamom
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) Baking Soda
- Soak the dried fruit in hot water and set aside to plump up.
- Grease an 8 inch heat-safe baking pan and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl whisk together the farina, milk, sugar, ghee, sour cream, and cardamom.
- Set this aside for 20 minutes to allow the farina to soften and absorb some of the liquid.
- Drain the dried fruit very well, and mix it with the batter.
- Add the baking powder and baking soda and mix well.
- Pour the cake mix into the greased pan and set the pan in the air fryer basket.
- Set your air fryer to 330F for 25 minutes.
- At the end of the cook time, insert a toothpick to check for doneness. When the toothpick emerges clean, remove the pan and let it rest for 10 minutes before unmolding the cake.
Get support & connect with our community on Facebook!
Don't forget to check out my Air Fryer Cookbook!
Every one of the recipes in this book can be made in an hour or less, and many are on the table in as little as 30 minutes. You won’t find “cream of anything” cans in the ingredient list: instead, you’ll start with fresh ingredients–healthful meats and vegetables–and let the air fryer do the hard work. Unleash the full potential of your Air Fryer and eat healthfully every night.