I wanted to try my luck with creating a cauliflower recipe, and I ended up creating a Cauliflower and Cheese Casserole. This ooey, gooey, low carb cauliflower dish will have you begging for more!
How To Make Riced Cauliflower Casserole
I miss cheesy, ooey-gooey things, filled with soft, comforting pasta. I've been seeing all these wonderful cauliflower recipes about and so many of them have been picked up, modified, posted, etc. that I'm not even sure to whom I should be giving credit for this recipe because I've read so many of them. But I sort of winged the proportions as I always do, and this is what I ended up with.
But first, a note about ricing cauliflower. I've seen lots of recipes for "cauliflower rice". I miss my rice so I thought I'd try this. Well, it ain't rice, but it will do in a pinch.
So here's the best way to rice the cauliflower for the cauliflower casserole. First, Put the florets in a blender with plenty of water, and pulse it a few times until the cauliflower is all chopped up. Then get a large strainer, and pour the mixture through it and drain thoroughly, and voila! You're left with even and small riced bits of cauliflower.
For this low carb side dish, I used a half head of cauliflower. I made Roasted Cauliflower with the other half. First I went ahead and cooked all of it in a pan with some ghee, salt, pepper, and water. Then I removed 1.5 cups to make this recipe and mixed the leftover with cilantro and lime juice to get a "rice" out of it like the picture below.
It's a keto-friendly recipe because of the high-fat content. It's also very kid-friendly but you do have to eat it hot. Tasted cold it's meh, but when it's hot and cheesy, it's quite wonderful.
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below! Just click on the stars in the recipe card to rate. Don't forget to pin this recipe for later!
- 1.5 cup (160.5 g) riced cauliflower, (see note)
- 1 teaspoon (1 teaspoon) Ghee, or coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) Kosher Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) Ground Black Pepper
- 1/3 cup (79.33 g) Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 tablespoon (1 tablespoon) Cream Cheese
- 1/3 cup (37.67 g) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup (83.33 g) Water
- Cook riced cauliflower along with the ghee, salt and pepper and scant 1/3 cup water until the cauliflower is soft.
- Pour the cooked cauliflower into a small glass pan and mix in all the other ingredients except 2 tablespoons of grated cheese.
- Use this to top off the casserole.
- Bake in a 350 oven for 25 mins until the cheese is melted and the sides have browned.